Menu

Hybrid Homeschooling with a California Charter

We've been in several different charters. Each has its own personality so YMMV. We've done on-site classes for high school, mostly. These are 2-day/week classes with assigned homework, and for us they worked. These have included biology labs (not necessarily coordinated to our chosen textbook but to state standards), math classes (lots of at-home work and help from math dad for my struggling student, but much less stress for mom), history of rock & roll, art, and even TA-ing for an english novel discussion/composition section. My current high schooler enjoys the social aspect as much as the academic one, and I appreciate the improvement in our relationship that comes from somebody else both assigning and grading her work. She's made a couple of good friends that she gets together with outside of class occasionally. It would be more often if it weren't for all the driving, since kids come from all over the county for those classes.

We've done 1-day enrichment workshops at the elementary level, too, which I did NOT feel were worth the time/trouble, tho' they were fun for the kids.

Our CA charter will pay for classes that we choose from a list of approved vendors. Is that what you mean? If so, it's been great for us. It's more enrichment, stuff I would not really enjoy doing with her as much and feel less confident in truly teaching. Art, P.E., hopefully music next year. It's also some much desired social, out of the house time for DD

Our current charter has classes but when I asked our teacher about the IEW class for oldest DD, she hinted that the classes are geared towards struggling students (I guess that if a student does poorly on the state tests, the charter teachers strongly "encourage" the student to take the classes).

If you went the CA public charter route, did you take any onsite classes? Did you find them worthwhile -- academically or socially? I appreciate any experiences.  

Just to be clear, enrolling your children in a charter school is not "hybrid homeschooling." California considers those students to be public school students. The court has recognized homeschoolers as private schools; children are legally either public school students or private school students. It is important to know this.

Our CA charter will pay for classes that we choose from a list of approved vendors. Is that what you mean? If so, it's been great for us. It's more enrichment, stuff I would not really enjoy doing with her as much and feel less confident in truly teaching. Art, P.E., hopefully music next year. It's also some much desired social, out of the house time for DD

Thanks, but I was referring to actual onsite classes offered by the charter. They have a large list of approved vendors, but I'm thinking of utilizing the learning center classes for the social aspects and (if I'm being candid) a break for mom. I'm just not sure I can spend all day with my kids with my sanity intact. :)

Just to be clear, enrolling your children in a charter school is not "hybrid homeschooling." California considers those students to be public school students. The court has recognized homeschoolers as private schools; children are legally either public school students or private school students. It is important to know this.

I'm aware of the legal distinction, but the practical reality is that it is hybrid homeschooling to teach your kid 80% of the time.