Menu

OK I bought Science In The Beginning and ....

clarkacademy

I didn't add anything to General, but I did add a Knowledge Box printable set to a later book in that series that DS did appreciate. I think it's called a lapbook journal? It had both lapbooking and notebooking options to print for each lesson. We completely skipped the lapbook portions; DS would have been mortally offended if he'd known of their existance.

We did the first chapter of General Science before Science in the Beginning was released. My son really liked that chapter, but he's also a history buff. We used the lapbook journal from Knowledge Box Central.

I switched him to Science in the Beginning because I could combine everyone without him being completely bored. I like both books.

We have been using Science in the Beginning for a few months--I love it.  We have been very lax on Science forever--we did Apologia Zoo 1 one year and it was draining--and we have done SL Science one year, science in MFW ADV (those were mostly Usborne books and encyclopedias with random experiments).

For the first time, with Science in the Beginning, I'm getting it :)  The experiments are super easy to pull together, the reading takes 5 minutes, the boys write in their notebooks.  I have already bought Science in the Ancient World for next year, when they are 5th and 6th grade.

You don't *need* the hints book for SITB, but I like having the "answers" for their notebook entries.  My boys are NOT big journalers/narrators, so it gives me an idea of key points they should have included.  It was cheap, why not have it? but you can do without it.

I really hope Jay Wile finishes the other books quickly.  I hate that my oldest will miss out on them, he'll prob have to do General Science and Physical Science like all the other 7th and 8th graders, huh? :(  I'm hoping in the next year, someone figures out how to ramp up the Jay Wile Elementary books to cover Middle School science . . .   the topics are new to ME, with a Biology degree--seems like there would be SOME way to work it all out . . .  I'll have to compare them to the General Science book (I have it upstairs from a used book sale, haven't looked at it).

Betsy

We have been using Science in the Beginning for a few months--I love it.  We have been very lax on Science forever--we did Apologia Zoo 1 one year and it was draining--and we have done SL Science one year, science in MFW ADV (those were mostly Usborne books and encyclopedias with random experiments).

For the first time, with Science in the Beginning, I'm getting it :)  The experiments are super easy to pull together, the reading takes 5 minutes, the boys write in their notebooks.  I have already bought Science in the Ancient World for next year, when they are 5th and 6th grade.

You don't *need* the hints book for SITB, but I like having the "answers" for their notebook entries.  My boys are NOT big journalers/narrators, so it gives me an idea of key points they should have included.  It was cheap, why not have it? but you can do without it.

I really hope Jay Wile finishes the other books quickly.  I hate that my oldest will miss out on them, he'll prob have to do General Science and Physical Science like all the other 7th and 8th graders, huh? :(  I'm hoping in the next year, someone figures out how to ramp up the Jay Wile Elementary books to cover Middle School science . . .   the topics are new to ME, with a Biology degree--seems like there would be SOME way to work it all out . . .  I'll have to compare them to the General Science book (I have it upstairs from a used book sale, haven't looked at it).

Betsy

So glad you like them!!! I am eager for rainbow resource to ship LOL

Exploring Creation with General Science for middle school grade 7. The Science in the Beginning is for my soon to be 5th grader. Any tips or comments by other users??

How old is the dc that will use general science?

I bought it for my ds11. When the new school year starts he will be 11 yrs and 10 mos.

Apologia General Acience Student Notebook spiral bound is sold at christianbooks.com at $22.49.

It has the daily lesson plan including what pages to read, what experiment to do, what questions to answer with room to write, when to take what quizzes. I think it is 160 lessons or so. My friend who has done it says it is a must to use this program.

• 5 months later...

Ds has done 3 modules independently now. He does all the experiments, all the reading and reviews and tests by himself, with open book.

It is definitely the kind of science that gets done!

Awesome we had a crzy time the past few weeks since we started school so we are starting tomorrow!!

The series looks affordable. I like that the notebook is a free download. It says it's for all elementary students. I haven't seen inside the book though. Has anyone implemented it for 2nd or 3rd grade or do you find it mostly for 4th and 5th up? Thx

Where is there a free download of a notebook for Science in the Beginning?

We used SITB last year with my 4th and 5th and it was right on their level.  The 5 year old liked to see some of the experiments and I would say a few things about it, but i never even tried to make him listen to the text--it was way over his head. 

B--

I think it depends a little bit on how you present it.  I am using SITB with a 1st-3rd grade co-op class this year, but I don't always read directly from the text. Sometimes I summarize, and perhaps fill in background information that's needed.  I haven't found it to really be over their heads when done in that way.  If there is one thing that doing BFSU taught me is that young kids can learn science concepts normally thought of as "advanced".

Where is there a free download of a notebook for Science in the Beginning?

We used SITB last year with my 4th and 5th and it was right on their level.  The 5 year old liked to see some of the experiments and I would say a few things about it, but i never even tried to make him listen to the text--it was way over his head. 

B--

I found it under downloads on their website.

https://www.bereanbuilders.com/mkt/res/nb/9780989042406nb.pdf

Hope that helps

I found it under downloads on their website.

https://www.bereanbuilders.com/mkt/res/nb/9780989042406nb.pdf

Hope that helps

Nice!  That was actually made by some ladies on a My Father's World board I'm on--I didn't realize they had passed it on to the publisher; that was a really nice move!

They didn't complete it until we were done with SITB, but I need to remember it is there for my now-K-er, who may do it in 3 or 4 years :)  I wish they'd do one for Science in the Ancient World--I don't like it quite as much as SITB and we have actually put it aside for a while, but it is a good book--it is just organized completely differently and it throws me off a bit to jump around in areas of science.

B

Exploring Creation with General  Science for middle school grade 7. The Science in the Beginning is for my soon to be 5th grader. Any tips or comments by other users??

Just wondering how General Science is working for you guys?

We are also still busy with Science in the Beginning and busy looking at books for Grade 7. Was thinking of General Science but I am not convinced by it yet? Any insights please...

Just wondering how General Science is working for you guys?

We are also still busy with Science in the Beginning and busy looking at books for Grade 7. Was thinking of General Science but I am not convinced by it yet? Any insights please...

It is working all right for us. I got the notebook that schedules everything so that was helpful. The only advice I have is make sure you check the days you will have experiments to be sure you have everything My kid is in the I get crappy if I don't get to do it when I am done reading camp LOL