Menu

7th grade math

verymom

Hi everyone, my son just finished Singapore 6B and when I went online to order him Singapore 7A math, I found it doesn't exist.  Ha.  I don't know if I'm super excited about their new Discovering Mathematics line http://www.singaporemath.com/Dimensions_Discovering_Math_CC_Workbook_7A_p/dmccw7a.htm - though I don't know, I've never tried it.  But I'm looking for some suggestions of what to do next.  

He is pretty mathy, and has done most of the Singapore Primary Math on his own without trouble.  We also do Life of Fred, and he's working his way through the "before high school" books:  http://lifeoffredmath.com/lof-middleschool.php  He also does Khan Academy.  

We've used Singapore Primary Math since kindergarten so I feel a little lost.  What have you used for Jr. High / Middle School level math?

Do you think he is ready for Algebra? Some kids go from 6a&6b to algebra and some spend a year in a formal 'pre-algebra' program before moving on to algebra.

There are many, many, many pre-A and algebra threads on this board so you can do a search. Look in the logic stage forum as well.

My son went from SM 6a&6b in 6th to Art of Problem Solving pre-A in 7th grade, and now in 8th grade he is using Art of Problem Solving algebra.

Hi everyone, my son just finished Singapore 6B and when I went online to order him Singapore 7A math, I found it doesn't exist.  Ha.  I don't know if I'm super excited about their new Discovering Mathematics line http://www.singaporemath.com/Dimensions_Discovering_Math_CC_Workbook_7A_p/dmccw7a.htm - though I don't know, I've never tried it.  But I'm looking for some suggestions of what to do next.  

He is pretty mathy, and has done most of the Singapore Primary Math on his own without trouble.  We also do Life of Fred, and he's working his way through the "before high school" books:  http://lifeoffredmath.com/lof-middleschool.php  He also does Khan Academy.  

We've used Singapore Primary Math since kindergarten so I feel a little lost.  What have you used for Jr. High / Middle School level math?

There are loads of threads on prealgebra.  Here's one:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/342798-pre-algebra-fence-straddlers-master-thread/

My kids went from MM 5/parts of 6 to AoPS Prealgebra.  My other favorite option is Dolciani.

I'm in the same dilemma except we used MM. I'm considering staying with Life of Fred and Kahn Academy, and that being it. I don't know!

MM7 (prealgebra) should be out some time this year, if I recall correctly.  I'd try to find out when that is.

DM is very similar in tone to PM. My oldest had no problem continuing on with DM after she finished PM. However, it *DOES* follow an "integrated" sequence rather than the traditional pre-algebra, algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2 sequence. I personally consider that a plus, but it does mean that switching partway through would be tricky.

It is also on the expensive side and the TM has very little guidance. It's not at all like the PM HIG's but rather is just a solutions manual with one page per chapter of teaching tips.

Many people go with Art of Problem Solving, Dolciani, or Jacobs after PM if they don't want to use the secondary Singapore books.

We liked Galore Park SYRWL Maths 2 & 3 after SM 6b.

I think any pre-algebra would be appropriate. Dolciani is popular, but you could probably do Saxon Algebra 1/2 or Holt pre-algebra, etc... Some people jump to Algebra, but I think it's nicer to ease in gently.

You could look at Math in Focus, which is based on the newer syllabus from Singapore. It is the American school version, so it's more aligned with what's expected in US schools. It goes K-5, then Course 1-3 for grades 6-8.  Rainbow Resource compares the format and components of the two programs. Here is the scope and sequence of MIF courses 1-3. Maybe there is a chart that compares the two programs?

We are in the same predicament except we use Math Mammoth. We've been doing a good deal of PreAlgebra and Algebra 1 type work as well. (Algebra Readiness Made Easy, Sunshine Math, and Keys to Algebra...) and rather than do a formal prealgebra course (Neither I, nor the boys really want to.)

I'm toying with two ideas:

1) A Survey of mathematics type course that includes some of the more interesting bits of math. Using a good, Math for Non-Majors type book as a scope and sequence and a crap ton of supplement type math books to hit everything at a good level for them.

2) An Integrated approach to math via Singapore 7-12 because I like the integrated approach to mathematics and the boys are pretty nifty at most of Algebra 1 and beginning Geometry type stuff anyway. They are a little young compared to most kids so doing Singapore  wouldn't put them at risk for not being 'ready' for one exam or another.

I'll be lingering here to see if anyone has any better ideas.