Menu

Mid Year High School Graduations?

What do you mean by "mid-year"? Mid-school year, as in January?

What are the student's plans for after graduation?

Yes, mid-school (January).  Post graduation this student would attend college.  In an ideal world, they would have the option of beginning at the college of their choice (assuming admission...) in a Winter/Spring Semester.  The issue they are encountering is if they apply, then request an admission deferral, it involves a year gap.

Yes, mid-school (January).  Post graduation this student would attend college.  In an ideal world, they would have the option of beginning at the college of their choice (assuming admission...) in a Winter/Spring Semester.  The issue they are encountering is if they apply, then request an admission deferral, it involves a year gap.

The biggest drawback I see is that college course sequences are designed for the typical student who begins in the fall semester. So, the courses needed first may only be offered in the fall, and standard sequence courses running in the spring may have prerequisites that have to be fulfilled during the fall semester. Not a big deal in some disciplines, but in others.

I would turn this around and ask what the benefit is of a winter graduation.

I know a student who did a variation on that. She was playing violin five hours a day and doing Keystone's academic work. There was not time to do everything she wanted for high school in four years. She took a fifth year, finishing one course from Keystone in the fall and taking AP Eng. Lang & Comp from me. Her parents gave her the diploma in December, and then my class was all she had to do academically until May. That way, she could mostly concentrate on admissions auditions and her music in general that spring.

She started college the next August; I don't think her school accepts students to start mid-year. Since she has a June birthday, she was in company with a lot of age-mates who had been red-shirted anyway in this area (we have an August kindergarten cut-off).

Another issue might be if scholarships or any aid is necessary there might not be funds available if they start in the spring - not sure how that all works though - definitely would be something to explore.  

I graduated from public high school at semester - I never regretted it, but I didn't go onto college right away. I was just done and burnt out on school by my junior year and me and 3 friends opted to graduate in January, we had enough credits. 

thoughts for the student headed for college might be: 

- math - if they haven't had math for a semester and need to be at a certain level it could be harder to get back into the swing of it

- what are they going to do in the interim? Work? what are jobs for teens like in your area. Who will they be around? Are their peers going to be a positive influence. One of the concerns I have with a gap year (semester) for my son would be that he'd keep deferring going back to school. Does this student have the motivation to head back into academics after being away from it for a bit? 

- do they have enough credits to be competitive at the school of choice? Or would an additional semester make their transcript more attractive?