Menu

Need help teaching the classics

Are there any good resources for ME to read so I can discuss the classics with my child? I would really like to look at them from a Christian worldview. I like what I've seen of Veritas' Omnibus and Cornerstones' WVWW but, honestly, I would rather have my child spend his time actually reading the classics - not someone else's commentary. There are only so many hours in a day. Any suggestions?

Tracie

Have you looked at the program Teaching the Classics by Adam Andrew? This is an actual seminar course to help you, the teacher, discuss classical literature with your kids. I'm not sure if it is exactly what you are looking for, but you can give it a try!

Also, here is a link to a previous discussion on these boards about it:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47596&highlight=teaching+classics

and

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50399&highlight=teaching+classics

I have that already. I need something that covers many of the classics and gives a summary, analysis, and discussion from a Christian point-of-view. I know I could use Spark Notes for the main points, but they don't examine worldview. I could just cover that myself as far as the plot is concerned, but if the worldview is under the surface, like Robinson Crusoe, and I haven't read the book:ohmy:, I would never even know it it there.

That's why I like Omnibus & WVWW but, again, I don't want my child to waste his time there. I need a curriculum or book that I can read, glean what I want, and then discuss with my child.

Thanks for the suggestion!

The discussion guides available at thegreatbooks.com look like they might be what you are looking for. They are only available for the books with the asterick (*) beside them on the reading list, but it looks like there are plenty for several years worth of good reading.

Not what you want to hear, but really, it only takes about 20 minutes to read the Omnibus essay that is at the beginning of each chapter (book). You would have discussion questions related to the plot, world/Biblical view, and also have essay questions and suggested answers at your fingertips. I don't think you'll find any other resource that makes teaching the classics so easy. You could pair Omni with Sparknotes (online free version) to get a solid overview.

it only takes about 20 minutes to read the Omnibus essay

Oh. It seemed like the online sample I saw was really long. OK, I just checked, its 16 pages. So are the 16 pages (or so) the only commentary for and entire book, or section of a book, that your read? Or, is the there a section from Omnibus to read every day?

Maybe I could just buy the teacher's book and read it. How do you us it?

Thanks,

Tracie

The discussion guides available at thegreatbooks.com look like they might be what you are looking for.

I've looked at this site many times and never saw the guides. Thanks. It looks like Jeff also has a few free audio lectures as well.

Ask, and ye shall receive! :thumbup:

We're using Omnibus 1 now. It sounds just like what you're looking for. We've taken the suggestion of another poster here and read the information about the author, setting and summary in Omnibus before reading the actual book, then reading the worldview last.

This week we're reading Exodus. They had 6 pages in Omnibus to read prior to reading the actual Exodus. There's no more information to read about, just discussions ?'s and writing assignments each day. Then on the last day of the book readings we'll read the worldview section.

Hopefully this will give you a better idea of Omnibus. Although we're not reformed and don't agree with all of their theology, it has stretched our minds and is making our faith stronger. Feel free to take a look at my Omnibus blog listed below.

As far as books that have helped me read the classics better, I've gained a lot from How to Read a Book by Adler and How to Read a Book Like a Professor (love this one). They aren't Christian, but give you a toolbox to use when reading the classics.

Gosh, sorry, I've forgotten that it may be more than 20 minutes! But I know it's not terribly long.

Omnibus has daily assignments, both reading in the (complete) novel/Great Book, and in the Omnibus book itself. The teacher guide is simply a cd-rom of the entire student text, with answers to the discussion and other questions in a different color of text. It comes with the student text.

The student starts by reading the essay, which introduces the novel/Great Book, and contains a basic plot outline and character analysis, as well as some worldview material. It is very introductory, and actually, I think SparkNotes does a better job, except there's no worldview/Christian stuff. Then, each day, the student reads several chapters of the GB, and does the Omnibus assignment. The questions range from basic plot comprehension questions to biblical comparison questions. There are writing assignments, too, based on the progymnasmata--we skipped those. There are tests on the teacher cd-rom, as well as a few supplementary assignments, a schedule, and other things.

It has excellent resale value--I was able to resell my 100 dollar book for about $75 (I ate the shipping), which meant I could offer my son the course for about $35. I bought all used books, and we checked some of them out of the library, so it was a cost effective course. I also didn't have to preread everything.

have said about Omnibus. The actual time for discussions was not that lengthy---not any more lengthy, really, than if you were to implement Teaching the Classics, which I own, by the way, and also find it very well done.

We've used both Omnibus I and II, and last year went particularly well for us. It gave me, as the teacher, the right amount of hand-holding that I needed to lead the discussions, and yet did not dictate everything that we did. I could ask other questions, or tweak answers, as we saw fit. The evaluations (tests) on the Teacher's CD were very well done. The only more major adaptation I made was to adjust the writing assignments. Omnibus generally implemented the progymnasmata in their writing assignments, but we weren't as well-versed in those, having only made it through a portion of CW-Diogenes (Maxim). So, I would use the Summa questions sprinkled throughout the readings for the particular book in question, and type up a list of expectations I had for each written assignment. Essentially my girls did essays for almost all of the literary works, and I would submit these to Cindy Marsch of Writing Assessment Services for an evaluation. I then would use the evaluations (tests) on the Teacher's CD for the historical books.

I would second Chris's idea of using SparkNotes. I bought SparkNotes for each book (you can also get them free online) so that dd's could review before each evaluation without having to re-read the entire book.

Note: I don't know how to edit my first line, but it should read "I can't really add much here to what Chris in VA and Michelle in AL have said". Typo!

One book I really like is Invitation to the Classics by Lousie Cowan and Os Gunness. It is subtitiled a "Guide to the Books You've Always Wanted to Read." It is written from a Christian perspective.

I am using this book, TWEM, and Cliff/Spark notes to teach a co-op class in Ancient Literature this year. It is good to have a little backround, but I agree that I want most of my students time to be devoted to actually reading the classics.

Tracie,

I'm going to use Omnibus II this year. This is my first venture with using Omnibus. Really, only one class day would be devoted to reading the excerpt from the book. Most of each chapter (one chapter per book being studied) are daily assignments with questions and activities. I will probably have my dc read with me the blurb from the book. Then I will give the reading assignment from classical book for the next day. Hopefully by the next day the student has read the assignment and we will go over the questions for discussion. Ever so often I will assign an essay. I only bought the teacher's edition, so my dc will have to share the book with me. The answers to the questions are on the CD which has a full PDF file of the entire book with answers.

HTH,

We've really enjoyed the Christian commentaries by Peter Leithart. He has written Heroes from the City of Man (several ancient books), Brightest Heaven of Invention (6 Shakespeare plays), and Ascent to Love (Dante's Divine Comedy).

They're all excellent, not too long, and have lots of review and thought questions. I had my kids read the guides themselves.

I also second Invitation to the Classics--very Christian, and not too long; also, each entry has a few questions to use for essays or discussion.