Menu

?? for Sue in St. Pete or other MUS veterans...

My oldest son is just beginning multiplication in Gamma. I introduced the 1st lesson yesterday but I was a little confused. He's used MUS all along and understands how to use the blocks. He also can skip count well using 2, 5 or 10 so for example, he quickly understood the concept of 5 x 5 =25. I'm confused however on how to have him solve a problem that he cannot skip count; like 6x3=18.

He understood to make a rectangle, go over 6 and up 3 but he then counted all the units to find the answer of 18. Is this ok? I didn't know if I should have him add 6 three times or simply allow him to count. The TM gave great detail in setting up the equation but didn't really give any specific instruction on how to have them find the answer. Do I just allow him to continue counting...any suggestions??

I would let him keep counting them for now and encourage him to find 'patterns' based on the unit squares. Using the blocks - cover the 'unit' squares with the longer 2/3/4/5/etc. colored bars to see the relationship. Finally - have him learn to skip count by 3's, 4's, 6's, 7's, 8's, 9's, 11's, and 12's on paper and mentally/orally. I would play a game in the car with my oldest... "Let's go by 6's!" and then we would alternate calling out the next number in the sequence. Little did he realize that we was learning his mult. facts/tables.

HTH :)

In the classic program, they never gave any multiplication problems that they couldn't skip count. They learned skip counting by 6s or 3s before they were asked to build a rectangle 6x3. So, I'm confused. :confused:

Maybe you should try the MUS yahoo group?

Sorry I can't be more help.

Yes. We are using Gamma right now, and once you get into it, before each lesson on a particular table (4's, 6's, etc.), there is a lesson on skip counting by that number.