Menu

Another MFW Question

Slache

Someone said they used MFW like this and I want to know if you think this is feasible for a typical (non advanced) student.

K-Adventures

1st-ECC

2nd-CTG

3rd-RTR

4th-E-1850

5th-1850-MT

Obviously you *could* do it, but would it be a waste of time, energy and money? I would actually use CTG in 1st & ECC in 5th. I don't like the earlier MFW programs, but I would like to start our homeschool off with their materiel. I think they would set a good tone for us.

As long as I have your attention I am also curious as to if you read several books at a time, or just a few. This can translate to "can I use the library or do I actually need to buy them all?"

Also, is the science really intertwined or would it be easy to substitute?

I would have a K'er tag along in Adventures, but I wouldn't do it just with a K'er.  The years also increase in difficulty.  The science in Adventures and ECC is intertwined, but you could substitute in the other years.  I've subbed with CTG.  As far as  the books go, are you asking about the core books?  If so, you'd be best served to buy them all.  For book basket, you can certainly just use the library.

I would have a K'er tag along in Adventures, but I wouldn't do it just with a K'er.  The years also increase in difficulty.  The science in Adventures and ECC is intertwined, but you could substitute in the other years.  I've subbed with CTG.  As far as  the books go, are you asking about the core books?  If so, you'd be best served to buy them all.  For book basket, you can certainly just use the library.

This is everything I wanted to know. Thanks.

We have completed MFW K, MFW 1st, MFW Adventures, and are about to finish MFW ECC. 

Here's what I would do (and plan to do with my 2 year old probably), as I do think MFW K is fairly easy and simplistic...

PreK 4:  MFW K

Kinder: MFW 1st

1st: Adventures

Adventures is a VERY sweet and so far my favorite of the MFW we've completed.  I think it would be perfect for a 1st grader.  I probably would not do CTG with a 1st grader (as the oldest child) just based upon the books I've seen with it. 

We have completed MFW K, MFW 1st, MFW Adventures, and are about to finish MFW ECC. 

Here's what I would do (and plan to do with my 2 year old probably), as I do think MFW K is fairly easy and simplistic...

PreK 4:  MFW K

Kinder: MFW 1st

1st: Adventures

Adventures is a VERY sweet and so far my favorite of the MFW we've completed.  I think it would be perfect for a 1st grader.  I probably would not do CTG with a 1st grader (as the oldest child) just based upon the books I've seen with it. 

MFW elementary programs are meant to be combined with multiple ages (in a family that has multiple ages), so that's why you see a high school text and some other "older" books in there.  If your oldest is only 1st or 2nd grade, you obviously wouldn't use those books intended for older/advanced kids.  There's plenty to do in CTG without those older books, as it includes some "younger" books, too, age-appropriate hands-on activities and notebooking pages, and of course Book Basket. 

Since the K and 1st grade programs incorporate learning to read, not all 4yo's could do the K program, and not all 5yo's could do 1st grade.  The 1st grade program starts out reviewing for several weeks, but then gets progressively and includes enough phonics that many curriculums do in 2nd grade.  My 2nd dd was *just* starting to blend cvc words when she turned 6 (no LDs, just a late bloomer), and that would've been the right time to do MFW 1st with her.  I wish I would have, because it would've helped her fine motor skills along very nicely.  (It includes much more than just learning to read.) 

Someone mentioned not knowing whether Rome to Reformation covers the Bible well.  It does.  *Very* well.  CTG goes thorugh big chunks of the OT, and then RTR covers big chunks of the NT -- both in context of history.  Then in AHL and WHL (high school), they read the entire Old and New Testaments word for word, along with biblical worldview, apologetics, and church history.  MFW is non-denominational specific... Marie always encourages the student and parents to discuss with each other, and/or with their pastor.