Menu

AOPS geomtr/Intermediate algebra

jennynd

I posted same post over high school board but got got no bite.. Hopefully getting some feedback here

So DS is few months into intermediate Algebra snd we realized so far is almost all review other than chapter 5. Since the boy is doing well, we decided to add AOPS geometry just once a week type thing. Understood that AOPS geometry is known as the most difficult book in intro series. I am wondering are there chapters (either intermediate algebra or geometry) that are considered similar to ch6/or ch7 in Intro to Algebra that your child find difficult and have to come back later days.

We are afterschooler as many of you already know, and we only have 1 hr  a day 3/4 days a week to work on afterschool. I will like to know those chapters before hand because the boy really don't have that kind of time to dwidle 1 hr in one single questoin before he get all burned out.

We are afterschooler as many of you already know, and we only have 1 hr  a day 3/4 days a week to work on afterschool. I will like to know those chapters before hand because the boy really don't have that kind of time to dwidle 1 hr in one single questoin before he get all burned out.

I do not think there are specific chapters that are particularly difficult. I am currently on my second student working through geometry and we have arrived at chapter 17. I do not recall any skipping and returning in Intermediate, although we omitted some chapters for reasons unrelated to difficulty.

I would, however, like to give you a heads up that some geometry problems will most definitely take an hour or even several hours. Usually these are the coolest problems that are the most fun, and it would be a shame to leave them out.

I thought Intro to Geometry was before Advanced Algebra, meaning it should be easier?  My son is only 6 chapter in with Intro to Geometry so far, so I can't comment about super hard chapters yet fully.  However, I was VERY nervous about him doing AoPS Intro to Geometry as a younger student after reading how challenging it was.  I even went as far as getting Jacobs 2nd edition as a backup in case he wasn't ready.  So far, Intro to Geometry is going just fine and hasn't been an overwhelming challenge.

There has been one problem that we did spend an hour on so far.  But I knew it would take a while and wanted him to work though it - but it's the only problem I assigned that day.  It was a very interesting problem and I wanted him to see how it all worked together.  I'm glad we didn't skip it.

Could you not worry about pacing?  That way, whether he gets 1 problem done or 1 set, it doesn't really matter. 

I thought Intro to Geometry was before Advanced Algebra, meaning it should be easier? 

I do not think the order has anything to do with the difficulty. IMO, some of the difficulties with geometry arise :

1. for students who do not have strong spatial visualization skills (DD and I are bad at 3-d geometry; I have an extensive math background, but I have difficulty visualizing things like a prism from whose corners you cut off pyramids.)

2. for students who are linear thinkers and prefer algorithmic approaches that make starting an algebra problem at least possible (even if the problem is difficult - you always know how to get started). Geometry OTOH is more of an art; there are often no prescribed ways to begin a problem, and it is often a question of finding the right combination of applications of simple theorems. We had many false starts and fruitless attempts with the harder geometry problems. This was not an issue in algebra.

My son thought the Intro to Geometry book was the easiest. He also has very strong visual special skills. He has had a harder time with the algebra, int. algebra, precalc books as he is severely dysgraphic and prefers to do the entire problem in his head. For problems that take mom two pages of writing, he can spit out an answer with no writing, but finds keeping the details of the signs, straight in his head more difficult. We are working on how to write/dictate/scribe math.

Could you not worry about pacing? That way, whether he gets 1 problem done or 1 set, it doesn't really matter.

I am not worry about pacing. I am worrying it will be too much after 6 hrs in public school. ( by the way the boy told me school stand for six crappy hours out of life) And he will not be able to focus on a problem that will take an hr. It will really just become a torture. .We are in geometry ch 3 now. . So far, it is alright We did not have any problem with any question and I just honest do not know what to expect later. I myself like geometry better, it feels more like in math vacation, but I was much much older than he is now. I do plan somehow come back those questions later. .. Maybe summer?or later... But with his school and extracurricular activities, that just not going to happen now

Regarding geometry, the boy did really well in intro algebra and we did NEM last summer 1-2..(I think) that cover most the geometry so we decided to go on intermediate algebra. We are only on ch5 and it is mostly reviews.

By the way, kohlby, do you might share which question took your DD more than 1 hr?

.)

2. for students who are linear thinkers and prefer algorithmic approaches that make starting an algebra problem at least possible (even if the problem is difficult - you always know how to get started). Geometry OTOH is more of an art; there are often no prescribed ways to begin a problem, and it is often a question of finding the right combination of applications of simple theorems. We had many false starts and fruitless attempts with the harder geometry problems. This was not an issue in algebra.

I think this one is why I was shy away from geometry. DS loves algebra.. Even he won't admit it. he can cranking out answers like nobody's business. and laughing at me not solving as fast as he does. But geometry requires so much more maturity into it especially the proof. We decided to give it a try because there are some proof in intermediate algebra and he convince me that he might able to do it. We might back down on geometry all together if he get too frustrated...

I am not worry about pacing. I am worrying it will be too much after 6 hrs in public school. ( by the way the boy told me school stand for six crappy hours out of life) And he will not be able to focus on a problem that will take an hr. It will really just become a torture. .We are in geometry ch 3 now. . So far, it is alright We did not have any problem with any question and I just honest do not know what to expect later. I myself like geometry better, it feels more like in math vacation, but I was much much older than he is now. I do plan somehow come back those questions later. .. Maybe summer?or later... But with his school and extracurricular activities, that just not going to happen now

Regarding geometry, the boy did really well in intro algebra and we did NEM last summer 1-2..(I think) that cover most the geometry so we decided to go on intermediate algebra. We are only on ch5 and it is mostly reviews.

By the way, kohlby, do you might share which question took your DD more than 1 hr?

I can't remember what chapter it was in, but it was one of the extra exploratory type questions from a math competition.  (It was not in the normal problem set).  It had a rectangle broken up into different sized squares and he had to figure out the area of the rectangle. I could have easily let him skip that question - but it was actually quite fun to go through it!  

Could he afterschool before school?

Bus comes around 7:10am and I also have a younger goes to a different school and has a earlier bus. we won't be able to do much if we have to before school. I also go to work around 5:30 am so I can get the kids to their sports and violin lesson..( hubby get the kids on the bus in the moring)It is just getting harder and harder.. It is so easy when they work elementary level ...