Menu

Michael Clay Thompson or Christian Light for grammar/Lit.?

runninl8

I would love to hear from some people who have used Micheal Clay Thompson for Language Arts. I am currently finishing up 6th grade grammar with Christian Light. I have always been facinated with the MCT; it is hard to find a lot of reviews. I have heard I should do Voyage for 7th, and I have also been told to do Magic Lens ( the next level up).  I am so confussed. I have enjoyed  Christian Light. My son was able to do it on his own, for the most part, but the reading and poetry that goes with it are kind of Bla. any advice would be great! Thanks.

We've used Island and are using Town...

Poetry

I really like the Poetry from MCT, but we've used only the first couple of levels. My brother loves the approach as well (he was an English major and writes for his own pleasure).

Literature

We tried the literature, and while I love the way he approaches lit., my kids aren't yet as into the classics. I also don't have as much time for discussion as I'd like (we have exceptionalities to work around). I think he has a book about literature study as well as his annotated classics with the teacher guides. I am not familiar with that book, but you might want to take a look.

Grammar--home run here

We've done the grammar for Island and Town, and we LOVE it. We plan to continue with the grammar for certain.

Vocab

The vocab gets rave reviews, and I think it's beautiful. My son prefers something "get 'er done." I will keep my CE books for later though, as I think he will appreciate the essays on Roman culture as well as the pictures and the poems that use the vocabulary.

Writing

I like the information, but we don't do the assignments. We need more hand-holding (again, the exceptionalities are key here).

• 1 month later...

Bumping this because this is exactly where I am. My dd is finishing up CLE 6 this year and finds it "boring because it's so easy" but I'm confused about where to fit her in for MCT - level 3 or 4. I had decided 4, then decided 3, and now I'm floating back to 4. The program is just so different from what we've done before, I wonder what the adjustment period is...

• 4 months later...

I did a lot of research and liked Michael Clay Thompson's approach to grammar/writing.   We were planning to use it in addition to First Language Lessons as I thought my son would LOVE the more story/visual part of MCT's books.  Turned out he doesn't really connect with them at all!  I am planning to sell the books as I bought them at the beginning of the summer to looks over them (try to marry the FLL and MCT together) and missed the return window by the time I realized my 8-year old didn't like them!