Menu

Partnership writing/ Bravewriter

chelsmm

Does anyone want to talk a little about these? 

This year, our first home school year, we haven't done much with writing.  For LA we have done the following-

We have used HWOT for hand writing.  We have done a little with The Sentence Family (4 types of sentences, nouns, verbs, adjectives, touched on adverb).  We started WWE1.  DD does fine with that, she's 8 and 2nd grade.  We are about halfway through because we haven't been consistent.  I stopped with DS because he hated it.  He has delayed fine motor control.  He goes to OT for that.  He prefers all capitals and will write only a few words a day.  I scribe for him for math, science, and whatever else needs scribing.  We recently started AAS with both kids, and they are doing well.  He only does a couple phrases a day. 

The Writer's Jungle and Partnership writing are intruiging.  The cost is a bit steep for me right now though, and that is why I am hesitating.  Do I really need The Writer's Jungle? 

Can anyone talk a little about the day to day application of Partnership writing?  Does it lay out the plan for me or is it more suggestions and I have to come up with ideas?

Can anyone give me an example of a week?  Is this just writing or grammar/HW/reading/ etc?

I'm happy with AAS.  I want to pitch WWE after this year, if not before.

Can my ds do this program and type or use me as a scribe?

I'm editing to add-  My kids are going to be 7 and 9 next school year.  Partnership writing is 9-11 years old.  I don't want to use something that is designed for younger kids with my 9 year old, but I don't want to have something too hard for my 7 year old.  Do I need to do two different things or can I use one with both?  I am reading through the online sample for Partnership, and so far I do like it.  But do I need to do Th Arrow with them first? 

Thanks.  :)

It's been an unusually popular topic lately. :) I always notice BW threads because I'm always so fascinated by how people use the philosophy, and the materials, together with their own vision for home education, and make something unique with it all!

If audio is a no-go right now, maybe try perusing Julie's blog? http://blog.bravewriter.com/category/natural-stages-of-growth/

I think you just kind of have to immerse yourself a bit in order to start really understanding how organic her approach is; for example, a blocked 18 year old might need to go through the Jot it Down phase (albeit very quickly) and all the other stages in sequence in order to continue progressing as a writer! Age truly is not the determining factor for the stages, it's all about the child you have in front of you and not some hypothetical ideal.

Ok.  I made my decision, and I think it's a good one ;)

I went with Jot it Down. I figure it will be better for my 6 year old, and my 8 year old will probably really enjoy it.  We have plenty of time to do PW after Jot it Down if we want. 

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm looking forward to getting started.  We did a few poetry teas at the start of the year and really enjoyed them. I think this will be good.

Did you notice the free Freewriting ebook when you went to the Bravewriter site? Get it! Freewriting is a BIG part of doing Bravewriter. There's enough in that slim free resource to really give you a taste of freewriting, which IMHO is a big part of doing BW. Also just really spend time reading through the website and especially the Bravewriter Lifestyle sections. I think you oldest could benefit from it. 

Also I would suggest buying at least one Arrow guide. The dictation directions in the Arrow guide are a whole lot better than WWE. You don't have to subscribe, you can buy one Arrow, or two, or how many you want. But I would buy at LEAST one to get a feel for "French Dictation."

Honestly...even though people say you don't need TWJ....if you find that you are really enjoying and wanting to continue with BW long term, it will be good to have it. But no, it's not necessary at first. 

I think JotItDown will be a great start, especially as you have a reluctant writer. 

Did you notice the free Freewriting ebook when you went to the Bravewriter site? Get it! Freewriting is a BIG part of doing Bravewriter. There's enough in that slim free resource to really give you a taste of freewriting, which IMHO is a big part of doing BW. Also just really spend time reading through the website and especially the Bravewriter Lifestyle sections. I think you oldest could benefit from it. 

Also I would suggest buying at least one Arrow guide. The dictation directions in the Arrow guide are a whole lot better than WWE. You don't have to subscribe, you can buy one Arrow, or two, or how many you want. But I would buy at LEAST one to get a feel for "French Dictation."

Honestly...even though people say you don't need TWJ....if you find that you are really enjoying and wanting to continue with BW long term, it will be good to have it. But no, it's not necessary at first. 

I think JotItDown will be a great start, especially as you have a reluctant writer. 

I poked around, but I don't see the Freewriting ebook!  Can you link it?  Also, thanks for the info about the Arrow dictation instructions.  I think I will get a copy.  And while I have been telling myself that TWJ is enough, now I'm tempted to get Partnership Writing too....  I need to stop opening other people's threads!

I poked around, but I don't see the Freewriting ebook!  Can you link it?  Also, thanks for the info about the Arrow dictation instructions.  I think I will get a copy.  And while I have been telling myself that TWJ is enough, now I'm tempted to get Partnership Writing too....  I need to stop opening other people's threads!

I think to get the book you have to sign up for the newsletter from the popup when you arrive at the site.

http://www.bravewriter.com/

When you first go to the site there will be a pop up screen that suggests signing up for an email newsletter. That's how you get the free Freewriting ebook , "Help Your Kids Fall In Love With Writing." 

The writing tips aren't terrible either, but if you're not interested in getting a daily email newsletter then just unsubscribe later.  I think for someone just getting started with BW, this little ebook is very helpful in getting started with Freewriting.

Which again, IMHO, is a BIG part of the BW writing philosophy. I had TWJ first, but I have even found useful tips in the free ebook for Freewriting. 

My oldest ds thinks Freewriting is the best part of his week. (until I pick a few for us to revise and edit later...but that's another thread!)

I always read any posts about Bravewriter because I usually feel as lost as this op about 'what' it is and 'how' the different parts of the program work. Even when I've tried to read through all the product pages I never seem to be able to get a sense of what the actual lessons will be like (and the sample page for jot it down doesn't seem to explain how different the later lessons will be as ppl who have JID usually say the lessons ramp up pretty quickly). Maybe the blog will be a better source of information.

I also find it interesting that people who own TWJ or other BW products usually love them, but find it difficult themselves to give a sort of step by step idea of what a lesson or week of lessons look like. Maybe this is because the approach is more 'organic' as sunny day noted?

I'm intrigued myself, but almost feel like you have to shell out the money to buy the program before you can get a sense of what using the program feels like, lol. I've just seen so many other posters go through the same thing, it would be great if the BW website could explain it more clearly. (Or maybe I just need to have a cup of coffee before I try to understand it?).

;-)

I always read any posts about Bravewriter because I usually feel as lost as this op about 'what' it is and 'how' the different parts of the program work. Even when I've tried to read through all the product pages I never seem to be able to get a sense of what the actual lessons will be like (and the sample page for jot it down doesn't seem to explain how different the later lessons will be as ppl who have JID usually say the lessons ramp up pretty quickly). Maybe the blog will be a better source of information.

I also find it interesting that people who own TWJ or other BW products usually love them, but find it difficult themselves to give a sort of step by step idea of what a lesson or week of lessons look like. Maybe this is because the approach is more 'organic' as sunny day noted?

I'm intrigued myself, but almost feel like you have to shell out the money to buy the program before you can get a sense of what using the program feels like, lol. I've just seen so many other posters go through the same thing, it would be great if the BW website could explain it more clearly. (Or maybe I just need to have a cup of coffee before I try to understand it?).

;-)

I hope others chime in as well, but yes, part of the vagueness of all things BW is that it is organic, integrated, and "holistic"/curriculum crossing. 

I have not actually read the specific manuals- JID, PW, etc.  I only have TWJ and have seen samples of The Arrow, etc. 

It's been a while since I've read TWJ, even though it sits on my bedside table because I'd like to re-read it.  Basically, there are many tools given- copywriting, dictation, poetry appreciation, free writing...  MANY tools.  Most of them are described pretty well on the website.  It also contains much practical wisdom about creating a writing/literature rich environment, in order to fan the spark of interest in children. 

Nowhere, if I recall, does it contain a daily schedule.  The JID and PW books may be different though.  It leaves the teacher to decide- how much copywork for this child?  How much dictation?  How often should we edit freewrites?  How should I incorporate Shakespeare?  Etc.  Personally, I love this.  I love having a toolbox and using the tools as I see fit. 

I see TWJ more as a teacher educaiton/training manual than a curriculum per-se. 

;-)

There are no lessons, and Jot It Down doesn't "ramp up" because again there are no lessons.

That's the first thing to understand about Bravewriter. It's not like Writing Strands or WWE, where lessons are going to be laid out in weekly/daily assignments.

Also the various parts are separate from the whole. You don't really need all of them. Any one thing will get you there.

You can use this as a complete writing program (add spelling, grammar) or as a supplement.

Basically a week  (or better to say month) of Bravewriter is like this...

(but before I describe it, there is a yahoo group on Bravewriter you can subscribe to and get daily email schedules. You really have to take the time to read and explore all that the website has to offer.  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BraveWriterMoms/info )

It's similar to WWE in that copywork/dictation and oral/written narrations are going to be the main part of your writing. The only difference is that TWJ doesn't lay out the passages for you like in a WWE workbook. But it will give you ideas in how to choose your own as well as routines (routines, NOT schedules). UNLESS you also use monthly Arrow guides. Those are a read aloud book that you read for the month (or however long) and there are copywork/dictation passages from it laid out for you, and suggestions in how to do the dictation, literary element study, and writing activity related to the book. 

Freewritng is your weekly creative writing activity. The free ebook will describe that in detail.

The Bravewriter Lifestyle is simply adding writing and lit to your life as opposed to school type assignments to get through. Poetry Tea, nature study, art study etc are things BW suggest working on. 

BW suggest a monthly writing activity. The ideas for activities are in Jot it Down, PW, or in TWJ itself, or just what you come up with on your own. There are NO writing assignments. BUT if a child worked on one writing activity once a month for  6-10 months (take it through the entire writing process), and Freewrites once a week, revising a few of those at times, and works on copywork/dictation throughout the week...they are doing a heck of a lot more writing than using WWE alone. There are routines/schedules for all of this in Jot It Down and PW. 

But it's not cumbersome writing. It just happens. 

The main thing to note is if anyone thinks BW is a open and go writing or language arts program....it's not! I think that's the main thing that trips people up...there are NO lessons or assignments. The main thrust of the BW philosophy is that you don't need them. Julie actually started to create the Jot it Down and PW products because people wanted a bit more hand holding. 

There are a ton of samples available all over the BW website, as well as the free ebooks and yahoo schedule, and blogs and posts on Facebook to get an idea of it all.

The online classes are a different beast all together. Not necessary to do BW. 

I have both TWJ and PW plus seven Arrow (one i got for free, the freebie, and 5 I got from HSBC). While I find PW is clearer and better put together than TWJ, I still think it's crazily over-priced for what you get. I'm one who has usually defended her pricing structure in the past, but really, the more I tried to puzzle out just how I was supposed to make it work for our family the less reasonable her price point became.

I'll gladly pay money for WWE/FLL/HO because there's plenty of content in there for me to use. Each one is abundantly clear as to how one might implement them and easily adjustable to fit my needs. TWJ/PW is sort of like a philosophical discussion with a few examples given and then a dump truck full of fuzzy wuzzy feelings about how wonderful it all is. Julie's a nice lady and she has what I think is a great idea, but I regret buying what I did. I found the Arrow to be difficult to use and the dictation passages weren't really any better or different than WWE. TWJ is a behemoth in need of an editor and a price cut. PW is better, but you're still going to need to put quite a bit of work in in order to go from grand idea to lesson plan.

I'm sure there are plenty of families for whom BW is a great fit. In order to find that out, though I'd skip TWJ and buy one component (like Jot-it-Down or PW). Don't pay full price, go to HSBC and get the ebook. Yes, you'll run the same risk that I did because there's no resale value for ebooks, but you'll mitigate your risk substantially.

Do not make the mistake that I did and get TWJ, find it impossible to use on a practical basis, and then think that the other stuff will explain it better or make it easier to use. It won't. If you find it works for your family then consider buying some of her other stuff, but again I'd go with HSBC unless you've got the budget to end all budgets.

It was hands down the worst curriculum decision I ever made.

Thank you both Waling-Iris and Monica-in-Switzerland.

As I read your post, Walking-Iris, I noticed I meant that many people say 'The Wand' ramps up...not Jot it Down (see how confused I am? lol). I also think that just understanding that the parts do not relate to the whole helps me a lot. I think I was putting too much energy into trying to figure out how 'it all worked together,' and when I couldn't figure that out, became frustrated and quit looking into it before I gave myself the time to really continue researching.

I do think the philosophy is something I would enjoy, and I just might try to dive into it this summer to really wrap my brain around it.

I do have another question. So, now that I understand there are no real schedules of writing assignments, rather lots of theories an ideas, would one need to look elsewhere for a sort of scope and sequence of the topics you would want to teach? What I mean, is, does BW or TWJ give an idea of what grammar or writing mechanics should/would be taught for a particular year, and then you can put together your own projects from the theories/ideas given? Or would you need to get the actual lesson topics somewhere else?

Thank you both Waling-Iris and Monica-in-Switzerland.

As I read your post, Walking-Iris, I noticed I meant that many people say 'The Wand' ramps up...not Jot it Down (see how confused I am? lol). I also think that just understanding that the parts do not relate to the whole helps me a lot. I think I was putting too much energy into trying to figure out how 'it all worked together,' and when I couldn't figure that out, became frustrated and quit looking into it before I gave myself the time to really continue researching.

I do think the philosophy is something I would enjoy, and I just might try to dive into it this summer to really wrap my brain around it.

I do have another question. So, now that I understand there are no real schedules of writing assignments, rather lots of theories an ideas, would one need to look elsewhere for a sort of scope and sequence of the topics you would want to teach? What I mean, is, does BW or TWJ give an idea of what grammar or writing mechanics should/would be taught for a particular year, and then you can put together your own projects from the theories/ideas given? Or would you need to get the actual lesson topics somewhere else?

There isn't any grammar in BW. I use a separate program for that. The Arrow dictations ARE different than WWE in that they are whole paragraphs that you work on throughout the week, and they are related to an entire book rather than random, disjointed passages pulled from various sources for no particular reason. The Arrow guides do talk about the grammar and mechanics of that week's dictation, but still you would want to use a grammar program. 

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BraveWriterMoms/info  Here's the yahoo suggested daily schedule.

I'm not sure what you mean by topics to teach. You wouldn't be teaching so much as you would be writing. That's why I like it. I didn't want writing to be worksheets, or formulaic assignments. I simply wanted my child to write. My oldest wrote a short story in 4th grade based off of an Arrow writing idea he took and made his own. BW does have a developmental progression, which is also why I liek it. I don't agree that writing is something unnatural and needing to be explicitly taught. Academic writing may be a different animal. WWS would be good for that. But BW is more creative, writing as art and a lifestyle, rather than school and academics. BW helps a child find their "voice" rather than just learning what a publisher wants to complete the assignment on time.  http://www.bravewriter.com/getting-started-with-brave-writer#5to8

TWJ is full of advice and ideas about the writing process, and editing and revising. That whole chapter is gold for me. I'm sorry that the pp had such a terrible time with it. Honestly BW is more useful to a certain personality I feel. I tried Writing Strands and hated hated hated having a book tell us what to write each day. I researched tons of other writing programs and felt the same, hated daily assignments, hated boring assignments (write about a pencil?....really.). I finally settled on WWE, and nearly chucked that. Again with the boring, "repeat this three times", and there was NO actual writing. I don't hold to the WWE idea that creative writing should wait. 

I was so happy when a friend told me about Bravewriter because it made sense to me. I still use WWE as a copywork/dictation resource, and BW as our main writing program. You would have to add spelling and grammar etc. I'm also not confident enough to let the copywork be our grammar and spelling. I'm not quite *that* CM. 

I've not used The Wand, so I can't really say what that is exactly. 

I find there are soooo many activities in JID and PW and in the appendix of TWJ, as well as on her website, that I have no trouble coming up with a writing assignment that we would actually be interested in doing. 

I wait until stuff goes on sale, which it does periodically. 

Thanks for all the replies.  I am really excited about this, and I'm glad I went with JID. 

For those who still have questions-  I found that my questions were answered for the most part when I looked through the BW website and looked through JID.  The website has great explanations of poetry tea, oral work, dictation, free writing, art appreciation, nature study, and all of the other components suggested.  I think that one could certainly build their own daily LA routine just based on the info from the website alone.  We are going to try out all of the ideas as they fit in to our schedule.  Then JID has ideas for 10 projects - about one a month if you are so inclined.  One is on the website- the fairy tale project.  So we are going to read The Princess and the Pea tomorrow.  I also have a Sesame Street audio version of the story that I adored as a kid that we will listen to.  Then we will make a picture - chances are that DD will want to draw her picture and ds will not.  I am going to suggest that he use magazines to cut out pictures if he wants.  The BW suggestion is to cut out mattresses shapes from magazines and stack them on the paper.  Then draw or cut out a pea for the bottom and draw or cut out a "princess" for the top.  I think DS will go for that option.  Then the child tells what to write down, and the parent writes it for them.  done.  

So when you buy JID or PW you get 1/2 of the book that explains how to incorporate BW into your life (poetry tea, art appreciation, nature study, etc, all this is on the website) and you get 1/2 of the book that is 10 project ideas.  The kids in JID are great.  Perfect for 5-8 year olds as far as I can see. My daughter will love them, and my ds probably will too, as long as I can remember to keep it fun.  Sometimes that's my problem.

In JID and PW there is no set schedule.  There is a "suggested routine", but it is very open to your own tastes.  For example it might say 

Monday- copy work

Tuesday- poetry tea, handwriting

Wednesday- Nature study

Thursday- movie, copy work 

Friday- art appreciation, handwriting page

Everyday- read aloud, learning to read

But you can do whatever you want.  There is no schedule of things that needs to happen.  You do poetry tea because it's fun and you enjoy it, not because it is Tuesday and you "have" to do it.  You pick and chose what you want to do and when.  

The Arrow, The Wand-  these are totally different.  I haven't seen these in person except the samples. But these are reading books and doing narration and dictation from the books.  Grammar is also taught through looking at the passages that are chosen. I don't know about schedules with these.  I'm hesitant to purchase these, but I may try them next year.  For now I'm going to do JID with both kids and continue WWE with DD since we have it and she doesn't hate it.

Hope that helps answer a few questions.  

There isn't any grammar in BW. I use a separate program for that. The Arrow dictations ARE different than WWE in that they are whole paragraphs that you work on throughout the week, and they are related to an entire book rather than random, disjointed passages pulled from various sources for no particular reason. The Arrow guides do talk about the grammar and mechanics of that week's dictation, but still you would want to use a grammar program.

I hate to put too fine a point on this, but I'm having a hard time seeing how WWE is random, disjointed passages. It's one source from which four days worth of activities are pulled. It's usually on a particular theme (much like BW), but moves a bit faster whereas the Arrow switches on a monthly basis. There's nothing saying you have to use the WWE workbooks. One could just as easily use the WWE hardcover and pull from the same book for a month for each theme. So, no, sorry the same philosophy undergirds both. Each is selecting dictation/copywork passages to model particular facets of good writing.

TWJ is full of advice and ideas about the writing process, and editing and revising. That whole chapter is gold for me. I'm sorry that the pp had such a terrible time with it. Honestly BW is more useful to a certain personality I feel. I tried Writing Strands and hated hated hated having a book tell us what to write each day. I researched tons of other writing programs and felt the same, hated daily assignments, hated boring assignments (write about a pencil?....really.). I finally settled on WWE, and nearly chucked that. Again with the boring, "repeat this three times", and there was NO actual writing. I don't hold to the WWE idea that creative writing should wait.

The repetition is in FLL, not WWE and you can just as easily read it once if that's what you preferred. WWE is a four day rythym of narration, copywork, dictation, and then narration and dictation combined.

I have a reluctant writer. I started with PW and followed the suggested schedule. He wasn't really thrilled with the copywork so I tried Doctor Who quotes which was ok, but mostly felt like busywork. We did the french dictation for the passages from the Arrow, but it wasn't really magical. It was dictation. We did poetry teas combined with art. That the kids liked, but only if I read the poems and never asked ds to read one.

We tried the freewriting and ds balked. He'd sit there for 5 minutes (the BW recommended starting time) and stare at the page. Her suggested writing prompts (like the ones she publishes every Friday on her blog) weren't any better. He'd either end up in tears, start whining, or just freeze. No amount of coaching, coaxing, or support on my part helped. I had ended up printing out TWL/PW in order to make it more manageable for me and no matter how I read and re-read it, there was nothing that would get him unstuck. We had done very little writing up to that point because WWE/FLL bombed for us in first grade so it wasn't like he had been traumatized in some way by writing.

He has lots of things to say, but not if he's given a pencil and asked to write them down. By all counts BW was supposed to work for him. Have me take dictation? Ok, we tried that. It wasn't like it was magic. Revise something? Yeah, that was met with more complaining. All those pages of ideas on revising and grand philosophy didn't do me one bit of good if I couldn't get him to start writing. Keep your pencil moving? It was like I was torturing the poor kid with that suggestion. He loved the idea of freewriting and the projects that BW talks about (because we had talked it over before I had chosen it), but the doing part was something else entirely.

Look, I'm not saying that the OP shouldn't try BW. I know a lot of people love it. It's just that people tend to get a bit gushy about how wonderful it is, but you don't hear too many negative reviews. It's made out to be this magical silver bullet that will solve all your writing problems. She paints this idyllic picture about how things look when you aren't bound by some curriculum, but I could never get it to work that way for us.

All I'm saying is start out small. Don't do what I did - don't spend $90 on BW ebooks believing that maybe your missing something and that other thing she's selling will make it clearer. BW isn't magic and it isn't a one-size fits all approach even if that's the way it's sold. Pick either JID or PW and see if it works for you. Can you translate her suggestions into something that works for your kids? Do Friday Freewrites work for your kids? If so, great. Then consider buying additional pieces. But there's enough of her philosophy/suggestions in JID/PW to get you most of the way down the road before you'll even need TWJ. The same is doubly true if your kids are younger.

Mamaraby-

Thanks for the reply. I think starting slow and seeing if the style works is the way to go for me. I know ds will balk if I set a timer and ask him to write or even dictate for me for five min. I do think if I catch him at the right time though he will talk for an hour while I scribe for him. So for us it will be all about my implementation. I like her philosophy. I just need to put it into action.

What I don't like about WWE is that passages from longer books are used mostly. So while we have read some of the books In full, others we have not read. They makes those less interesting. And we can't read them all in full and do the workbook. And I got the workbook to take the work out of selecting passages. So I don't want to stick with a book for a month and find my own passages and I don't want to find passages from our read alouds. I got the workbook to do that for me. I think that part of the Arrow and the wand would appeal to me. Those, I believe, use the full story not just excerpts.

Anyways, thanks for sharing your opinions.

Mamaraby-

Thanks for the reply. I think starting slow and seeing if the style works is the way to go for me. I know ds will balk if I set a timer and ask him to write or even dictate for me for five min. I do think if I catch him at the right time though he will talk for an hour while I scribe for him. So for us it will be all about my implementation. I like her philosophy. I just need to put it into action.

What I don't like about WWE is that passages from longer books are used mostly. So while we have read some of the books In full, others we have not read. They makes those less interesting. And we can't read them all in full and do the workbook. And I got the workbook to take the work out of selecting passages. So I don't want to stick with a book for a month and find my own passages and I don't want to find passages from our read alouds. I got the workbook to do that for me. I think that part of the Arrow and the wand would appeal to me. Those, I believe, use the full story not just excerpts.

Anyways, thanks for sharing your opinions.

BTW, Julie is awesome. She will respond to your personal emails about any writing issue you may have promptly. There's also a Facebook group I just discovered, BraveWriter Lifestyle Group, which is full of Bravewriter users who will talk about their implementation of it as well.