Menu

Brave Writer Question

Wildwood

We use BW, some aspects of it. Last semester we did more than now because we are trying out CAP writing and rhetoric this semester, but we will probably do more BW in the fall again. We use parts of Partnership Writing and Jot it Down, free writes, poetry teas, and in the fall we used The Arrow. We will use the Arrow next fall as well.

We add formal grammar, spelling, and cursive copywork. We use FLL, AAS through level 4, and then R&S Spelling.

I wanted something a little more organized and laid out for me this spring so we are using CAP, we both like it, but I am missing BW. I plan to add more BW back in our schedule and space it out with one CAP book next year.

How about a long answer to a short question?  :-)

Yes, I feel we use a Bravewriter approach in our home.  I have no other writing curriculum that I am currently using.  Now, having said that...

I own WWE 1 and 2.  in addition the WWE: Strong Fundamentals teacher's guide.  I have read the guide completely, and studied the progression of exercises in the two workbooks.  I have also read A LOT of Charlotte Mason information on oral narration, copywork, and dictation.  I've read a lot of other WTM moms' suggestions for writing without a curriculum per-se.  I cannot unlearn all of these things I have learned, so when I say we are BW, it includes me bringing a lot of other gathered wisdom to the table from my own research. 

If you look at TWJ table of contents, you'll see that Julie uses the same components of her writing "base of the pyramid" as Charlotte Mason- narration, copywork, and dictation, plus providing plenty of read-aloud time to develop a love of language.  These are also the same elements use in WWE and most other classical or CM writing programs.  I prefer to choose my own selections and pace for how many times a week, etc, that we do each thing, which is why the WWE workbooks don't work for me, but the BW / WWE:SF approach does.  WWE:SF provides a good idea of what progression looks like in terms of narration skill and dictation skill. 

Next most important element of BW, in my opinion is the chapter on learning to identify (and toss out!) stupid/pointless/busywork assignments, and make writing meaningful.  Yes!  I definitely think about this when making assignments for my son!  It has been very freeing to not feel like I have to make him write down "What I liked about our trip to California"  Gag! 

I also am using the information from the chapters about topic choice and narrowing focus- great information there! 

We are not really into the editing phase or writing yet, or at least, I edit and he just writes a final copy from my editing.  This will come as he gets older. 

I do my own thing with grammar because I love grammar, but I try to make it part of our "BW lifestyle" just like everything else we do in the LA. 

Next year, I'll probably be using the poetry book from MCT, but I consider that part of the BW lifestyle as well.  BW is flexible enough to allow bringing in tools from other books, curricula, websites... 

So, to make a long story short, I would say we are a BW family.  I take the tools from TWJ as well as other materials I have read, and they all pass through the BW lens and become part of the "lifestyle".  I think the original TWJ is more about breaking away from curriculum than a curriculum itself- it's basically a parent handbook on how to teach writing.  I find this fits my teaching style really well, because I don't like being told what to do each day, I like to say to myself, "That was a beautiful passage, let's make it  copywork for today"  or "Let's work on a paragraph about that documentary we just saw" or "Let's do some jot-it-down partner writing to plan the birthday party".  You know what I mean?

I think our Five-in-a-Row is also part of our BW lifestyle, just like our other read-alouds- I always do the literary topics in the guide for that to be sure we're learning some vocab about writing.  We do the BW poetry teas and Friday freewrites, and just generally keep a book-friendly home. 

Hope that helps! 

Thanks very much, ladies : )

ByGrace3, curious, what is CAP?

Monica, thank you for sharing so much.  So true about tossing out all the pointless busywork and making writing more meaningful.

I've been allowing my daughter to simply keep a journal for free-writing and it's just so neat to see her actually connect with her writing as a writer and not just a student learning how to write through a prescribed method.  I'm all for learning methods and so forth, but I really like the idea of tapping into a creative base and seeing who my daughter is as a writer.  She's enjoying the freedom and having fun with writing : )

I like how you said you take other materials and process them through a "BW lens" and have them become part of the "BW lifestyle"---thanks for that.

Thanks again, ladies, the responses have been great.