Menu

computer programming certifications available online

I'm exploring options for ds who continues to spend hours programming. I'm looking at options for self-study specifically for certifications. Right now he works mostly in C++. 

I found this online, C++ institute which seems partnered with Pearson and has certification testing through the technical schools. I know nothing about them however. 

Are there reputable places to look and what kind of certifications are standard? (looking online due to our location limitations)

He's not sure what he wants to study in college, but I thought at least considering some certification prior to graduation could help him decide and be a nice accomplishment. 

I'm exploring options for ds who continues to spend hours programming. I'm looking at options for self-study specifically for certifications. Right now he works mostly in C++. 

I found this online, C++ institute which seems partnered with Pearson and has certification testing through the technical schools. I know nothing about them however. 

Sorry I believe these typically don't hold much weight with employers if that is what you are looking for.  It has become more of a "buyers"  market so they expect to see a Computer Science degree or similar with good grades.

It may be useful to have the certificate for your son to get an internship while in college but I would confer with the college.

Sorry I believe these typically don't hold much weight with employers if that is what you are looking for.  It has become more of a "buyers"  market so they expect to see a Computer Science degree or similar with good grades.

It may be useful to have the certificate for your son to get an internship while in college but I would confer with the college.

Not necessarily for employers as he's not sure what he wants to do in college, more for a way to establish credibility for his programming, which is his main extra-curricular activity at this point. 

I disagree with the above as I'm in the Computer field and have been in it for over 20 years. Certifications do carry a certain weight and can be a way into the field through help desk support or as a temporary employee to full time. Yes, a degree is preferred but now so are certifications in particular areas of expertise. If your kid is good at it, doesn't mind sitting for a cert test, it can't hurt him to get it. BTW, I have a BS and Masters in the field and have hired those without either becuase of their talent, or them being in the right place when I had a need.

Thank you.