Menu

Architecture Appreciation as a Fine Art Credt?

My son loves looking at building and hearing about their design and history.  He has expressed an interest in doing a study on architecture of building for high school credit.  I am currently planning his high school 4 year plan.  :)  I found a course called The Cathedral through the Great Courses.  It's a DVD series, but I figure I can have him write an essay/paper after the course.  It has 24 lectures so I believe that could be at least a semester course. 

Do you think this would work to make a credit worthy course?

Thanks.

The lectures are only 30 minutes each, so that's only 12 hours; you would need a total of about 60-80 hours for a semester course.

To make a solid half-credit course, I would add the other Teaching Co course on architecture, Understanding the World's Greatest Structures (also 24 lectures) and a couple of books: The Annotated Arch: A Crash Course in the History of Architecture  (a short, engaging and well illustrated survey of important buildings and building styles from ancient times to the present day) and Architecture: Form, Space, and Order (a beautiful visual dictionary of architectural vocabulary and styles). For output, I would have him do a research paper on a topic of his choice.

I'd beef it up some, too.

Visual Guide - have him visit buildings that are (somewhat) local to you and take photos/write a guidebook for the different architectural styles he finds

Additional reading (require summaries, outlines, research papers, projects, reviews, etc.): 

Expanding Architecture: Design as Activism by Bell, et. al.

Architectural Sketching and Rendering: Techniques for Designers and Artists  by Kilment

Introduction to Architecture by Ching & Eckler

At Home: A Short Story of Private Life by Bryson

City Comforts: How to Build an Urban Village by Sucher & Kane

The Art of Construction: Projects and Principles for Beginning Engineers and Architects by Salvadori, et. al.

Sketch Plan Build World Class Architects Show How it's Done by Bahaman

Drawing Geometry: A Primer of Basic Forms for Artists, Designers and Architects by Calter

Architectural Drawing Course: Tools & Techniques for 2D and 3D Representation by Zell

A Pattern Language: Towns, Buildings, Construction by Alexander, et. al. 

Basic Drafting: A Manual for Beginning Drafters by Scott

Girder and Panel Hydrodynamic Deluxe Set

History of Strength of Materials by Timoshenko

Structures: Or Why Things Don't Fall Down by Gordon

The Annotated Arch: A Crash Course in the History of Architecture by Strickland

Why Buildings Stand Up: The Strength of Architecture by Salvadori

Why Buildings Fall Down: Why Structures Fail by Levy, Salvadori et. al. 

Architecture is Elementary: Visual Thinking Through Architectural Concepts by Winters

Designing Playgrounds by Han

A Blueprint for Geometry by Fulton & Lombard

The Heights: Anatomy of a Skyscraper by Ascher