Menu

Old Textbooks and WTM

I was recently gifted some textbooks and I have a few questions. Having these free textbooks given to us was a huge blessing because we are currently having money issues so I would like to use them.

Regarding a United States history textbook from 1987:

What would I have to look for in terms of racism, prejudice, and historical inaccuracies? I can't think of any specific examples at the moment, but I am aware that I would possibly have issues with a textbook written before the sixties. I'm not sure if a textbook written in the 1980's would have similar issues. 

I plan on doing Logic stage history exactly as it is outlined in WTM, and I already have the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia. This textbook would just fill in any gaps that I couldn't fill at the library and  be another text to outline from I assume. 

Regarding science textbooks:

I haven't the slightest idea HOW to use it and what to assign. I don't have the teacher's edition. I can't afford to buy lots of extra kits so the WTM way of science is pretty useless to me, I think. Although now that I am writing this I can come up with a few free things, like nature study to go along with biology, for example.  Any other ideas? The particular textbook is biology which is amazing because that was my plan for next year, but the mom who gifted these to me has other books to pass along as well. So for the next year I have a biology textbook, an internet connection (netflix), and the library. I have spent so much brain energy wrapping my brain around how to do the other subjects in a way that I can afford, I have no more to spare for science. Before today I was going to just make do with the library and the internet. I had found CK-12 and was pretty excited, but we prefer real live books., not books we'd have to read with the Kindle app on the computer. The CK-12 books had teacher editions so I had the answers and a plan. I guess I just need the answers and a plan.

My baby is teething and I didn't get much sleep, so please excuse any run on sentences and other silly things. I hope this all made sense! Oh yeah, this is for "fifth grade" but my daughter is above grade level.

I would be hesitant to use a history textbook from t he 80s. Not only has a lot happened since then, but we've had more time to gauge the success or failure of different campaigns. You can find newish textbooks on Amazon for less than $10. There are many books for which you can download the workbooks too. For example, here are the workbooks  for a social studies series. Grade 5 is US History and you can get the student edition on Amazon for $9. There are some online activities that go with the book.

http://kgbthatsme.blogspot.com/2013/04/homeschooling-on-dime-free-resources.html

Also, check your thrift stores. I've seen loads of high school biology textbooks in mine. Same with high school math.

Have you been home schooling all along? Are you starting with Ancients or somewhere else for history? What level are the textbooks? All this will help people give you advice. Don't fall into the trap of having to use something because a generous friend gave it to you. It still has to work for you.