Menu

World of Warcraft

Night Elf

I don't know.  The thing is they changed quite a bit. The older 2 versions are very different from the newer.  It's almost like two different games.  Everything changed -not just the look but the way it was played, etc.  I didn't like the changes and never got into the newer ones.  But, the other issue is there is a story-line.  Since I'm not familiar with the upgraded versions I don't know how important it is to know the backstory.   (probably not much though).

You need some version of the base game to get started with Warcraft; just buying an expansion won't work.

You can get started with a free trial edition, so new players can see if they like the game or not. That lets you go up to level 20, I think. For buying the game, Blizzard sells a digital copy for $20 that includes all but the most recent expansion as well as thirty days of free gameplay (https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/world-of-warcraft ). That lets characters play up to level 85 - through the base game, and the first two expansions. If you're buying it from somewhere else, you're looking for an edition that includes WoW, The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, and Cataclysm. Most of the battle chests I found on Amazon didn't include all of those and it looked to be cheaper to buy the whole set on Blizzard's site. The most recent expansion, Mists of Pandaria, is around $20. Players also need to buy gametime after the 30 days that are included with the base game.

If someone hasn't played WoW before, the base game should last them a while. I've probably made it sound complicated, but the startup cost is less than the price of a new console game. We're all WoW geeks in this house, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. :)

I'm not wanting to play and I don't know if I'll ever want to play again. I'm cleaning out my closet and I have a box of old computer games including WoW and it's expansions. I'd like to throw them away but what if I get a hankering to start playing again? I was wondering if I would need to buy them all again. Would these discs even work on new Windows OS?

I'm not wanting to play and I don't know if I'll ever want to play again. I'm cleaning out my closet and I have a box of old computer games including WoW and it's expansions. I'd like to throw them away but what if I get a hankering to start playing again? I was wondering if I would need to buy them all again. Would these discs even work on new Windows OS?

The game and expansions are tied to your account, so you don't need to keep the physical discs.