Menu

xpost: if taking the ACT early, should you report scores to colleges?

katilac

dd is going to take the April ACT as a sophomore, in order to be eligible for dual enrollment at a local school. should we report the score to other schools, or wait for a higher score as a junior? 

she got a 29 on a practice test, so she shouldn't have low scores, but we definitely anticipate an increase next year (she hasn't had algebra 2 yet). 

I would wait.  If she's sure she's going to apply to a college which requires all test scores be sent, then you can save a few dollars by using the free score reporting.  But at this point, you may not yet know if she'll be sending ACT or SAT scores.  I'd send it to the dual-enrollment college, and for the others I'd wait.

I can only tell you what we did.  Ds took the ACT at the end of 9th grade.  I sent the scores to no one.  He took the ACT again at the end of 10th grade.  Because his 9th grade score was decent, I had the 10th grade scores sent to the NCAA and NAIA for athletic purposes for free.  We really had no idea where he would be applying at that time.  He may never have taken the ACT again except that by the start of 12th grade, some of the schools he was considering were very competitive and the theory was that he would get better aid with a higher score, so he took it one more time. 

We took the cautious approach.  We never sent his scores to a school before we knew what they were.

We had my son send his SAT scores on the free reports to two safety schools and the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. This test was before he took the PSAT, but we figured he had a chance at NMF (just barely missed it) and they would need verifying SAT scores. We were pretty confident from many practice test scores that he was going to do pretty well, so I didn't worry too much about sending them sight unseen. In the end, this approach saved us the fees to send the score reports separately later to several places.

Brenda