Menu

TOG with reluctant reader/independence

LAmom

Just thinking things through here. My first year using TOG (started January). My dd is doing UG and some dialectic and my one ds is doing LG. I am wondering if TOG will actually work out if ds age 8/almost 9 does not step it up with independent reading. I can keep him in LG for fourth grade hoping for UG readiness in 5 th.

Will TOG be worth it doing the bare minimum? I don't know what he will be like in the future or my other young learners, up and coming, but I'm hesitating and foreseeing the reading as problematic. I guess eventually he will have to just step things up and read/study on his own anyways? Reading aloud does not happen frequently here ( little one is distracting).

Sorry for the ramble. I hope I got my point across. I sometimes wonder if I have too heavy of a history/lit focus in our school. My ds just wants to talk about cars....

I'm sick of debating history every year. I love SOTW but wanted some Christian perspective too. I like the looks if MFW but it seems too weak in Lit for my dd who loves reading!

I just realized that my ds9 is a *slow* reader. He's a good reader (he reads books for adults if they interest him) but INCREDIBLY slow. Your goal for now needs to be developing speed and fluency. If you can get some history done while doing that (Clyde Robert Bulla books come to mind, but there are tons of easy history readers), great. You've still got over a year to built up speed for UG.

While we're doing SOTW for history, I realized my goal needs to be to get my son to read quickly. If phonics are in place, then give him tons of easy books to read and make sure he reads them. I think I let my son choose his books (guides to dinosaurs, birds, etc) without thinking about what would help him develop speed a fluency. Then, if I gave him something tricky and I wasn't watching, he'd build with snap circuits or practice yo-yo tricks. I'm watching him now! My 7-yo dd reads much faster and does a lot of history reading - she reads like a teenage football player eats. Someday ds9 will read a lot more substance, but that isn't my goal now. (On the upside, he remembers *every* *single* *thing* he ever reads.)

Emily

Just thinking things through here. My first year using TOG (started January). My dd is doing UG and some dialectic and my one ds is doing LG. I am wondering if TOG will actually work out if ds age 8/almost 9 does not step it up with independent reading. I can keep him in LG for fourth grade hoping for UG readiness in 5 th.

Will TOG be worth it doing the bare minimum? I don't know what he will be like in the future or my other young learners, up and coming, but I'm hesitating and foreseeing the reading as problematic. I guess eventually he will have to just step things up and read/study on his own anyways? Reading aloud does not happen frequently here ( little one is distracting).

Sorry for the ramble. I hope I got my point across. I sometimes wonder if I have too heavy of a history/lit focus in our school. My ds just wants to talk about cars....

I'm sick of debating history every year. I love SOTW but wanted some Christian perspective too. I like the looks if MFW but it seems too weak in Lit for my dd who loves reading!

I don't know whether you should continue TOG or not, though it definitely has a wonderful Christian perspective. But I was thinking, that you could continue one more year with him in LG and still start the history discussions on the topic, if you wanted to move him more into the logic stage. Or you could use UG history and LG lit or vice versa (UG lit with LG history books), depending on what you thought he could handle. I have chosen to use MFW, and the lit is what you make it. If you are looking for lit worksheets like in TOG, that's not there, except for 2 Progeny Press guides in 7th and 8th grade. But if you're just looking for lots of lit options for dd, you can definitely do that with MFW. I hope you find a good fit for your family.

Because I love reading aloud history to my children, I read aloud many of the upper grammar selections. My dd was in fourth grade when we were in Y2. As the year went on, I began adding some of the History in Depth books for her to do independently. This year in Yr 3, I still read (all the kids listen in) Hakim and STOW out loud. She reads independently at least one, but often 2 of the UG resources on her own. She will be ready for the D books next year. Your little one will be 2 next year, right? That will make things a lot easier for reading aloud. You can even have your DS 6 play with her for 15 minutes, or let her watch Cat in the Hat or Peg Plus Cat (or--my solution--let them watch it together).

Boys often take off in independent reading in fourth grade (I say that having taught fourth grade in ps).