Menu

New Orleans/Mississippi/Memphis trip suggestions

EmilyK

We are about to leave on a trip starting in New Orleans, driving several days through Mississppi and ending up for a few days in Memphis. Despite my signature, our kids are 11 and 15, and we will also have a set of grandparents along. Would appreciate any suggestions of sightseeing or restaurants. Our family interests tend to history and music. Thanks for any help!

In Memphis, the Rock and Soul museum, Gibson Guitar tour, Stax museum/tour, Graceland, and Hard Rock Cafe (plus walking Beale Street, but it becomes pretty alcohol laden at night) are all music-related.

The Memphis museum system includes the Pink Palace museum (part local history, part science) and multiple historic houses. There are a lot of historic sites downtown. The Peabody Place museum is a nice collection of dynastic Chinese art and Judaic art. (I did some curriculum development for them for the Asian art section when the museum first opened, so I'm biased a bit).

Memphis is known for barbecue, and if your family likes it, some favorites are Central BBQ, Corky's, and the Rendevous.

New Orleans has a National Historic Park ( or memorial or one of those) for jazz music. Probably enough for about an hour? It's been almost ten years since we went. The WW II museum is definitely worth seeing- and plan for a long visit. We only had a couple hours and felt rushed.

ETA: we didn't have any kids on our trip, so I'm not sure if there are parts of the museum that sensitive kids should avoid.

There are several places of interest in Mississippi. One of our favorite towns is Natchez. We love to tour the plantation homes...some of our favorites are Dunleith, Longwood, Monmouth, and Rosalie. St. Mary's Basilica is beautiful! We also enjoyed the "Natchez in Historic Photographs" exhibit in the First Presbyterian Church. Our favorite restaurants are Carriage House and the Castle at Dunleith.

Vicksburg is another place with lots of historical attractions including pre-Civil War homes and the Vicksburg National Military Park. In Jackson, there is the Old Capitol Museum, the Eudora Welty House, an art museum, and the MS Natural Science Museum.

Regarding music, the BB King Museum is in the MS Delta in Indianola. I'm not very familiar with blues music, but I think there may be other places of interest near Cleveland. If you enjoy archaeology, the Winterville Mounds are located near Greenville.

Tupelo is the birthplace of Elvis so you can tour many attractions associated with him there.

Hope this is helpful!