Menu

Between SM Essentials K books A and B...

kirstenhill

My just turned 5 year old seems to be my first workbook loving kid. He finished SM Essential K book A a couple weeks ago, and he loved that book - he asked to do it every day. We started the B book but he not finding the same love - it has page after page of number bonds to start out - and he is really still developing number sense (he has to count to figure out if 6 or 8 is bigger or to decide what number comes before 9).

Clearly some work with manipulatives is needed, but he still wants a workbook to do at the table while older siblings are doing math, and he likes things like "draw enough fish to make a group of 10" or "color a group of five hats" and things like that.

What could we do that would focus more on that number sense for a while? (He is absolutely solid on shapes and colors, which I see a lot in preschool books from the dollar store and the like...we could go that route but if he wants to spend time doing a work book it might as well zero in the skills he still needs to develop.)

I dont quite recall what's in it, but you might consider Rod and Staff's Counting book from their PreK ABC series.

I haven't started Miquon Orange yet, but it starts with counting then leads into addition. It's a workbook but uses cuisinaire rods as an essential tool.