Menu

Latin for the New Millennium? Harvey Center?

Has anyone used Latin for the New Millennium? Did you like it better than Wheelock's Latin or Henle?

I'm looking to have my 9th grader take online latin. Has anyone taken latin from Harvey Center? How did your child enjoy the teaching? Is it engaging? Do their methods work?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks,

Rosa

Has anyone used Latin for the New Millennium? Did you like it better than Wheelock's Latin or Henle?

I'm looking to have my 9th grader take online latin. Has anyone taken latin from Harvey Center? How did your child enjoy the teaching? Is it engaging? Do their methods work?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks,

Rosa

I haven't used LNM, but I have read through it, and I like it a lot.  I like that it covers a wide variety of classical texts, including medieval literature, which is often omitted.  It certainly is more colorful and better looking that wheelock.  I don't particularly like Henle.  In addition to being too Ecclesiastical for my tastes, it is very Caesar-focused, with a lot of vocab and tons of exercises about armies and battle lines and wars and who is killing whom.

I have no experience with the Latin 1 course, but I am currently working through Latina Ponti. Beth Harvey has some teaching videos for that book, and I have also viewed the grammar/diagramming videos that she posted on these boards. I found the teaching videos very clear and helpful.

No BTDT experience, but my son will take Latin 1 through the Harvey Center next fall. I was specifically seeking an online class that used the LNM textbook. My middle's private high school used LNM and I thought then that it seemed like a great text.

My ds is using LNM for an online class through the Potter's School. It seems to be a nice melding of the grammar memorization approach (Henle, et al) and the "learn through reading" method (like Cambridge Latin). He is having a good experience with it thus far.

Elaine

I transitioned to using this with my students, and they really enjoy it.  After working with Athenaze for Greek, they prefer the LNM series to everything else we have used.  At least from my oldest daughter's perspective, it comes the closest to Athenaze, which all three of my children have enjoyed immensely.

ETA: As a teacher, I found it superior to Henle and to Wheelock.  Relatively speaking,  Henle is limited in content and Wheelock is too flat (not engaging) for my children.  Wheelock is clearly a solid program, but working with much younger students as I have, LNM offers the same rigorous content with the bonus of a visually appealing format that is more effective (IMO) with a 21st century student base.   It was the best choice for me because I was unwilling to sacrifice rigor, yet I wanted a format that would engage my younger students.  They simply loathed Henle.  

Guest jshmd

My 12 year old has been studying Latin for the New Millenium (LNM) and Latin with Beth Harvey through the Harvey Center for nine months. And I have taken the Harvey Center Latin for Mom's course to prepare me to support my daughter in her Latin studies. It has been a fabulous experience. Beth is a wonderful teacher and tutor. Both my daughter and I love her and the course. LNM is easy to follow, and the grammar units make lots of sense. Learning about Roman times is  explained in a way that makes it very interesting (I am quoting my daughter here). I highly recommend Beth Harvey and the Harvey Center. We have also taken English and Logic courses through the Harvey Center and highly recommend Grace and Tina's course, too.