Menu

facebook help

ThelmaLou

I was looking at my son's facebook account, and everything that I've "liked" today on FB is showing up in his newsfeed. I'm guessing this is happening with all my friends? I do sometimes see when my friends have "liked" something, but it doesn't seem to be everything. I just don't want to clutter up other people's newsfeeds with all my "likes". Any way to change this?

I think you're right Ethel. I realized this when I commented on a friend's post and another friend messaged me to ask about the comment (they weren't friends with each other). I primarily stick to my private groups or FB messaging now since I really don't care for everyone to know my business.

It depends on the privacy setting of what you are commenting.  Most FB pages for groups and companies are public, and your comments can show up on the feeds of your friends.  Some of your friends may also post publicly on their own FBs, so when you comment or "like," it can show up on your friends' feeds too.

Look at privacy settings before you comment.  Below their post, you'll see the line that reads something like "Like - Comment - Share - 30 minutes ago - XX"  If the XX is a globe, it is a public setting.  If it's two heads, it's friends of the poster only.  Hovering over the symbol will tell you the privacy settings. 

I have recently begun severely limiting what I respond to when my friends post publicly.  I would have thought they'd want to know that ANYONE can see their stuff, but the two people I told were fine with that. 

This has been great. Thanks everyone! I also found another symbol that wasn't a globe or two friends....it was a flowery looking thing. I found out it was really a gear. Anyhow, that means its a custom made list. This is helpful. I've stopped clicking on things I like that have globes!