Menu

Stomach Bug ? - when to return home

Teresa in MO

My dd #6 and I have been out of town the past two weeks helping after the birth of my dd #1 4th child.  My dh and other dc came on Thursday to visit and we returned home with them.  Shortly after starting the 4 hour drive, my dd#4 called me from home and said she had a very nasty stomach bug.  We decided instead of going into our home to go to my dd #2 house, which is our rental directly across the street from our home.  DD#4 with stomach bug is feeling much better today and has disinfected the upstairs bathroom where her bedroom is and the few areas she was downstairs.  (I know this is as clear as mud, hope it makes some kind of sense!)  So, the question is when would you feel safe returning home?  I can keep everyone downstairs and not in the most contaminated bathroom for the rest of the week.  I can keep dd#4 isolated upstairs.  The only areas really touched downstairs was obviously the front doorknob and the refrigerator. Both have been disinfected at least once.  We are really hoping all to avoid this bug, but especially my dh who always gets hit harder than anyone else and really can't afford to miss work. I really need to get things back to normal after being gone for the past two weeks,  We are thinking of staying put today and returning home tomorrow morning?  Any thoughts?

Noravirus can live on surfaces for weeks. I don't think you can wait it out.

Instead I would encourage everyone, and especially hubby, to be careful with their hands. Avoid touching the face the face with unwashed hands/wash hands well before eating, etc. with soap and water, not sanitizer.