Menu

Another Conceptual Physics option...

We have Hewitt, both Conceptual Physics and Conceptual Physical Science. My daughter hated them. I think it was partly the tone (but also because she'd rather jump into the math and understand the concepts that way) and I'm sure she isn't the only one out there who wasn't fond of Hewitt.

Today I found some references to a book, Understanding Physics by David Cassidy. I did a little more googling and was surprised to find the entire text, student guide and part of the Instructor guide available for download for free! It's quite different from Hewitt, more history and a more mature writing style, not so chummy. You can't print the PDFs but you can either use them as PDFs or use the PDFs to review before buying. I saw copies on amazon for $2.  

Daughter's reading it right now and she says it's a big improvement over Hewitt. Our impressions are: not a lot of distracting pictures, no boxes with extra information, good information on history and straightforward prose that doesn't try to convince you it's fun and interesting (instead it just IS interesting).

• 2 weeks later...

So far I like what I see. It isn't "chummy" or chatty at all, but I really like the tone. My first reading of Conceptual Physics made me wonder at my ability to teach it, and I immediately hunted down every teacher help I could find. The Cassidy book makes me think I can totally keep up with her.

Before the study quide questions at the end of chapters there's a list of books for further reading. Love this feature.

• 1 month later...

I started working on DD's Understanding Physics syllabus this weekend. May I ask what you ladies are doing for labs? At first glance the major labs look designed for multiple students, but the mini-labs are better suited to one kid.

I forgot about requesting the rest of the IG until I saw "suggested syllabi" in the TOC. That would probably come in handy! :P