Menu

Yet another AP "can he do this?" question...

We are debating the wisdom of ds taking 3 AP courses next year. He will definitely take AP Eng. Lang. Not sure yet which provider or teacher, but this class is a definite. He is also considering AP Macroecon and...or...AP Chem (both from PAH). The purpose of taking these two subjects is to delve deeply into areas that he may possibly consider for his career.

Has anyone's students taken this particular combination of AP courses? Any insights or words of advice?

Background: Ds is mathematically talented and naturally organized. He is also a great test taker. He is taking AP Stats right now and doing well. However, this is a kid who MUST have margin time...or free time...in his day. His mind is wired in such a way (from birth) that he has to have downtime. This is very hard to explain...but it is one of the primary reasons we began homeschooling. :-)

If anyone has any thoughts about stretching this kid to 3 AP classes...these 3 in particular...please share! Thanks!

AP Macro can be done in one-semester, so you might think of that as 2 1/2 APs rather than 3.  My daughter took AP Chem, both AP econs and AP Calc AB in the same year and did fine.  She did not take a heavy lit that year, though, and her electives were not terribly time-consuming.  While she is freakishly efficient, she did have time to spend 25 hours/week practicing and commuting to her sport.  

ETA:  If efficiency is your goal, may I suggest teaching at least one of these yourself?  Outside providers (but not ChemAdvantage) tend to make AP prep harder than it has to be.  They include lots of busy work, as opposed to direct instruction.  I taught both econs to my daughter (it was my undergraduate major, but that was many, many years ago, and I relearned most of it with her), and it was far less time-consuming than if we had used most outside providers.  She learned the material, and she learned it well, but she did not read a thousand-page treatise or create a single PowerPoint presentation.

My ds did AP Chem (through Chemadvantage) and AP Macro (through PAH) simultaneously along with AP US Govt, and he had no problems juggling things. Because of all of the simulations, the AP Macro can be quite a time sink, but if your ds just decides that sometimes good enough with the simulations games is acceptable, he should have no problems. My ds took AP Lang&Comp the following year with two other AP's, and while the writing took time, it didn't take an inordinate amount of time. I think your ds should have no problems.

ETA:  If efficiency is your goal, may I suggest teaching at least one of these yourself?  Outside providers (but not ChemAdvantage) tend to make AP prep harder than it has to be.  They include lots of busy work, as opposed to direct instruction.  I taught both econs to my daughter (it was my undergraduate major, but that was many, many years ago, and I relearned most of it with her), and it was far less time-consuming than if we had used most outside providers.  She learned the material, and she learned it well, but she did not read a thousand-page treatise or create a single PowerPoint presentation.

Efficiency is a goal, yes, but the primary reason for selecting these particular two courses...chem and econ...is for our son to learn more about these subjects from teachers who are passionate about them. He is investigating possible career paths because right now, he has no idea in what direction he wants to go. To be honest, I have no passion when it comes to economics. :-) My husband does...but he just does not have the time. Now chemistry is a different story. But I am teaching him chem 1 this year in a group setting...he sees my interest in the subject and it is contagious to him, so now I would like for him to experience the subject from someone else, and from what I've read, the ChemAdvantage teacher is definitely passionate! I want my son to experience this.

His other main subjects next year will include physics (taught by me in a group setting) and precalculus (son and I will work through this together...and he will get far ahead of me, so I wonder as I type this why I will even bother...lol!). He will also have to take a couple of state required semester courses, so here is what he will have if he takes all 3 AP courses.

Bible

AP Eng. Lang.

AP Macroeconomics

AP Chemistry

physics (basic algebra-based, conceptual-leaning course)

precalc

health/personal finance

While she is freakishly efficient, she did have time to spend 25 hours/week practicing and commuting to her sport.

The "freakishly efficient" made me laugh out loud...I know exactly what you are talking about. Hearing that your daughter had this time to pursue her sport is definitely reassuring.

if your ds just decides that sometimes good enough with the simulations games is acceptable, he should have no problems

Thank you, Gwen! I will pass this info on to him. He does have quite a competitive streak, though, so if there is competition involved in any of these games, he may spend more time than he should on them. He will have to learn to quit at "good enough" if he wants his margin time.