Menu

Tips for teaching 2 kids w/ different learning styles, for the not structured

I have been pondering how I am going to work homeschooling next year. My very bright intuitive/creative almost 5 y/o will be kindy. My equally bright methodical/logical oldest will be 2nd grade.

The only thing I attempt to do with a bit of structure is language arts and math. They both learn so differently and are at such different places I see them both needing separate direct instruction here. My methodical one really needs direct instruction until she is a solid reader, which I don't see happening for another year at least. My younger one actually picks up a lot independently (and curriculum wise is past K requirements), but she makes a lot of creative leaps so she has holes and errors in her learning without guidance.

I am not a very structured person, so assigning specific times to each kid doesn't work well. Right now I usually just find about an hour and a half sometime throughout the day to work with my oldest.

Oh and the other problem is my oldest is not good at alone time. (Youngest likes alone time)

Anyway I am sure I will eventually figure out some kind of rhythm, but I find so much good info on this board, I thought I might see if I can gain some wisdom from the more experienced.

My kids are different types of learners and are 2 years apart, so I feel your pain.   At that age, I combined wherever I could, which was history/literature (Sonlight) and science (we tried a variety of curricula).   

Do a search for workboxes and you'll probably find some great ideas.   Essentially, workboxes allow your children to work through a sequence of work with some independent activities mixed in - so your child who doesn't do well independently can do a "fun" educational activity while she waits for you.

Even if you don't assign structured times to work with each child, try to do things in the same order every day so you get everything done.   You work with older child on math while younger practices handwriting, then work with younger while older finishes her math worksheet.   If older finishes before you are ready to work with her again, she does a puzzle.   Then you work with older on reading while younger does play doh, and so on...    If you can find a rhythm that works for you, your kids will know what to expect and will fall into a routine.   There is an incentive to completing their independent work quickly, because they get to do something "fun" until the next subject with mom.    The workboxes provide a visual cue of "what to do next" which fosters independence.

One thing that has worked for us is to start EARLY in the day.   We all have better attention spans (and the work gets done) earlier in the morning.   If we wait until the afternoon, things get forgotten or someone's brain is fried (including mine on many days).   

If you can find self-correcting materials for your creative one that likes to work alone, that might help. The whole curriculum would be hard to find, but for repetitive things like math facts, you may be able to find or make things that she can do independently or score on her own. Some of the math games and ideas on Education Unboxed (free site) are fairly self-correcting (you use cuisinaire rods). You might have to do a little training on how to use the materials, but it might offer you a little more wiggle room.