Menu

Olympics spoilers- men's figure skating

Amira

I just have to say that I'm delighted with the results tonight.  First and second were pretty much decided yesterday (you just had to wonder which of the two would get the gold), but with so little difference between 3rd and 9th place after last night's short program, the bronze medal was totally up for grabs.  We were rooting for Kazakhstan the entire time and Denis Ten is an amazing skater.  I hope he's around for a long time.

I did enjoy Jason Brown's performance, although I don't know enough about figure skating to know why his and Lieben's scores were so low. 

Go Kazakhstan!

They had less technical stuff.  When Brown came on Tara Lipinski mentioned that his program only had 77 (???or73) possible technical points.  He couldn't do better than that, Lieben's had a higher possibility but he had more errors.  I was rooting for Lieben, but I did think Ten was better.  I was a bit disappointed in Hanyu's skate.  I think his could have been better.  It was good, but lacked the "wow" his short program had.  Chan's felt the same way, good, but not amazing.  

Jason Brown is very good, and he's young so he'll be around for a while.  I enjoy watching him skate.  I was thrilled Abbot did such a good job.  He skated his best, which is what anyone wants to do at the Olympics.  

Ah.  It helps to have commentary in English. :)  The Spanish announcers here pretty much just said what jumps were completed (or not), and the titles of the music.  It kept us busy adding up scores to see what everyone needed to beat Ten since we were mostly on our own.

I was upset for Patrick Chan, poor guy. He had the gold in his reach after Hanyu's troubles but it was not to be. Canada is still missing a men's gold. 

But Jason Brown. Wow. There was no one we enjoyed as much as Brown. Every other long program seemed boring and devoid of character and then he came on and we had a blast watching him.