Menu

Another AP question

:blushing: I'm sorry, just one more AP question!

I was beginning to think we were all set for next year for AP classes through PAHS: Macroeconomics and Comparative Government and Politics.

However, someone made a comment on another thread about doing your AP English classes through your junior year so they were on transcripts for college applications. Ds is taking AP English Language this year as a sophomore and wants to take the AP English Literature class from the same teacher. I had thought to wait until his senior year, but would it be to his advantage to be in the class while he is working on college applications, which would be predominantly at the end of his junior year, right?

Or am I making this way too complicated?

I am fairly sure that 3 AP courses in one year would be a bad plan for us.

Do what's right for YOUR student! You do not have to over-do & take every single AP out there by junior year, even the wonderful ones, in order to look good for college. Very few kids will have had both AP Eng classes before they're seniors. AP Lit is generally taken as a senior course in most schools.

I had one student who did NO AP English at all (no way could he be talked into it, nor would it have been appropriate for him), and one who took AP Eng Lang through PA Homeschoolers junior year (an absolutely wonderful experience in every respect), followed by home-brewed English during senior year.

Do what's right for YOUR student! You do not have to over-do & take every single AP out there by junior year, even the wonderful ones, in order to look good for college. Very few kids will have had both AP Eng classes before they're seniors. AP Lit is generally taken as a senior course in most schools.

I had one student who did NO AP English at all (no way could he be talked into it, nor would it have been appropriate for him), and one who took AP Eng Lang through PA Homeschoolers junior year (an absolutely wonderful experience in every respect), followed by home-brewed English during senior year.

Thanks for being the voice of reason, Kathy!  The two AP courses I had originally decided on for next year would be courses of interest regardless of whether or not they had the AP designation, so I think we'll continue with that plan and hold on to AP Literature for his senior year. The one advantage I was thinking of for taking another AP English class is potentially having the extra help with essays for college applications, but I think we'll be okay.

We haven't had a chance to read much literature that is our choice this year and I was looking forward to one last year on our own for English before returning ds to Mrs. Inspektor his senior year.

If three APs in a year would be a bad idea for your son, I would suggest he take the two APs that most interest him. 

Also, it's my understanding that some (not all) colleges will only give credit for one AP English score.

Regards,

Kareni 

I had heard that many colleges will give credit for only one English class as well. I think ds's commitment to taking AP English Literature is for joy not necessarily for a practical purpose.

We are striving for some sense of balance, but not always achieving it, which is why I think more than two AP classes (to be more exact, exams) is probably too much. There will always be swimming and sailing and possibly some part-time work. He is reaching the point where there is maybe only one somewhat easy class and next year, there probably won't be any. 

Thank you again for your help. You all have no idea how much it is appreciated.

We haven't had a chance to read much literature that is our choice this year and I was looking forward to one last year on our own for English before returning ds to Mrs. Inspektor his senior year.

This is definitely a good reason.  I was just thinking today that there are several books I wanted ds to read, but he has not had a chance to read yet. He will need to find some way to read those by next year.

I had heard that many colleges will give credit for only one English class as well. I think ds's commitment to taking AP English Literature is for joy not necessarily for a practical purpose.

Isn't it a great feeling to have a child that would choose to take a very challenging course just because it gives him joy?  You've done good, Mom.

We are striving for some sense of balance, but not always achieving it, which is why I think more than two AP classes (to be more exact, exams) is probably too much. There will always be swimming and sailing and possibly some part-time work. He is reaching the point where there is maybe only one somewhat easy class and next year, there probably won't be any. 

Ds will miss having him in the same class next year.  But, I am sure that after what he experienced the first part of this year, he would be the first to tell your ds that life is about more than trying to cram in another class that will overwhelm him and drain the joy right out of him.