Menu

Seeking Penpals for sons (ages 8 and 10)

It's been a while since I've been online here at TWTM, so if somebody had a similar thread going let me know.

My sons, ages 8 and 10 are looking for penpals to write to. The would love to make new homeschooling friends this way and also improve their writing skills in the process.

Oldest (10 yrs) has autism, but loves to write and draw.  He loves art, science, history, aminals (especially farm animals and ocean life), tractors/farming equipment, trains/steam-powered vehicles and the like. And he adores Mythbusters tv show and cooking shows like Good Eats, Pioneer Woman and Iron Chef.

My younger son (8 yrs.) loves trains, legos, cartoons/movies, dinosaurs, rabbits, baseball, archery and such.

Both boys love educational history, engineering and science documentaries.

They would like to find penpals of similar ages or with similar interests.

Sniff is 8 and he's just getting into doing more writing (hooray!) so this would be great for him.  We're in the UK though.. is that going to be a problem for you?

Sniff likes (in no particular order) lego, cartoons, science (astronomy is a current interest), ice hockey, tennis, sealife, the human body, and motorbikes.  He enjoys rushing about outside, or can be found reading anything and everything to hand.  He's just started going to art class along with The Snork Maiden and loves it.  We attend a small local church.

I have an 8 year old girl who is interested in having a penpal.  Her interests are stuffed animals, animals, reading (books about animals - she just finished Misty of Chincoteague), drawing, painting, animal TV shows, The Property Brothers and other HGTV home renovation shows, movies, playing games like My Singing Monsters, and piano playing.  We have a cat, a parrot, a fish and a hamster.  The hamster and the fish are hers.  She enjoys kids' church on Sundays. 

If this sounds like a match, let me know.  :)

Guest MYANGEL0518

I have a 7 year old son who would like a snail mail penpal. He is being homeschooled, just started this year.

He loves stuffed animals, animals, trains, legos, cartoons, movies, playing basketball, running outside, music, skylanders, video games, cars, trucks, Ipad, computers, painting, dancing, playing board games. Would love to make new friends. He has a turtle, 2 goldfish, and a mouse as pets.

I would like for him to do this so he can practice more on his writing in a fun way. We are in the U.S. If anyone is interested please let me know.

Thanks!

I have a 10 year old boy who is home schooling for the first year. He loves to create his own things out of Legos,  mine craft, nature, animals....  He is not a big writer but I think he would enjoy short communication with a distant friend his age.

My daughter is 8 years old and in public school but she would LOVE a pen pal.  She is into games, animals, reading, reading and more reading, crafts, learning languages, HGTV shows and pretty much anything you can think of. She just loves to learn and be in touch.  Texas Mama I think she may be a match for your girl!

Rebecca

My daughter is 8 years old and in public school but she would LOVE a pen pal.  She is into games, animals, reading, reading and more reading, crafts, learning languages, HGTV shows and pretty much anything you can think of. She just loves to learn and be in touch.  Texas Mama I think she may be a match for your girl!

Rebecca

Before I got to the last sentence, I thought, "Wow, this is the twin of my child!"  Yes, please message me and we can exchange information.  They sound perfect for each other.  :)

My DS (9) would like a pen pal.  He loves Legos, history, science, martial arts, animals, cooking, Minecraft, Pioneer Woman, American Pickers, Myth Busters, Crash Course History videos, documentaries, jokes, Audio books, etc., 

OneStepAtATime,

Except for the year in age difference, I think my oldest son may be the twin of yours.  He hasn't dug into the American Picker's archive yet (he's still working his way through American Restoration.... but I gather they are similar), but otherwise their tv preferences seem to be mirror images.

I am glad to find pen-pals for my kids here.  I have toyed with the idea for posting such a request for a while and finally feel that their reading and writing levels are getting to the point this would be a useful tool.

Let's exchange info and get these boys going on their long distance friendship.

Sniff is 8 and he's just getting into doing more writing (hooray!) so this would be great for him.  We're in the UK though.. is that going to be a problem for you?

Sniff likes (in no particular order) lego, cartoons, science (astronomy is a current interest), ice hockey, tennis, sealife, the human body, and motorbikes.  He enjoys rushing about outside, or can be found reading anything and everything to hand.  He's just started going to art class along with The Snork Maiden and loves it.  We attend a small local church.

Hi Hedgehog,

My boys are so thrilled with the number of responses we got for our request for pen-pals, that they have both decided they'd like to have an International pen-pal and another one in the States. (Of course, as mama-teacher... I don't mind a bit... it's double the practice in both creative writing and penmanship!  Can't complain about that!)

Sniff would be a good match for my older boy, I think due to their interests (he's a bit immature socially for his age due to the autism... on par with his little brother in many areas, but also less mature than his brother in others.)

Let's exchange info.

Rebecca (in South Dakota, USA)

I am so thankful to get so many replies.  The more the merrier.  We have decided to let both of our boys have 2 pen-pals each (an International pen-pal and a pen-pal from the USA.  As both boys have requested this arrangement.)

If we get more responses, hopefully we can match some other kids up with each other too.  I see that couple mom's have already matched up their daughters as pen-pals, so let's keep this going for a bit and find some more kids long-distance buddies.

I have a 10 year old boy who is home schooling for the first year. He loves to create his own things out of Legos,  mine craft, nature, animals....  He is not a big writer but I think he would enjoy short communication with a distant friend his age.

Rebecca

Rebecca,

(Okay this is too fun, it's like writing a letter to yourself, since I am a Rebecca too.)

Wonder if your 10 year old boy, would like to write to my 8 year old (who's not a big writer yet either... maybe they will blossom as they write to each other... son kids, especially boys need a "good reason" to  be bothered to do so.)  They are interested in similar things.  Let's exchange info.

Rebecca in South Dakota 

Sounds good!  Send me a message when you are ready to get started Rebecca!

Rebecca in NY

Rebecca,

(Okay this is too fun, it's like writing a letter to yourself, since I am a Rebecca too.)

Wonder if your 10 year old boy, would like to write to my 8 year old (who's not a big writer yet either... maybe they will blossom as they write to each other... son kids, especially boys need a "good reason" to  be bothered to do so.)  They are interested in similar things.  Let's exchange info.

Rebecca in South Dakota 

My 6.5 year old daughter would also like a penpal. We are in Australia. She likes drawing, fairy and mermaid books and Lego. If interested please let me know.

I have a 6.5 year old daughter who loves all of those things!  We live in the US.  Would you be interested?  PM me if you are, and we can exchange addresses.

Logging in late, but I have a 9yo DS who has Asperger's. He draws and draws and draws sea creatures, other animals, and his latest love is Foodimals from Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs II. He loves movies and can quote them quite well. We don't do too much TV, but he likes our family-watching time (House Hunters!) on amazon prime, lol! The only books he requests for gifts are animal encyclopedias. He's not too much of a writer, in that he will find the quickest way to write anything! A pen pal might open up his mind to the joys of writing!