Menu

2nd g R&S spelling

alisha

For 1st grade, my 6 year old DS is doing MCP plaid phonics and still learning to read. I plan to do Spelling with R&S Spelling by Sound and Structure.  I know from reviews that this program doesn't get into the spelling rules and hard core spelling until grade 4. But I'm wondering if the grades 2 & 3 would work for a phonics emphasis? In other words, instead of finding a phonics program for 2nd grade next year, could I just move into grade 2 R&S "Spelling"? 

Thanks!

No, he is not ready for that in my opinion. I would not switch phonics to a spelling book until the child is reading fluently enough that they no longer need daily phonics instruction. :)

My nearly 6yo has dabbled in R&S Spelling 2, mostly because her older siblings use the series and she wants to feel big. She is blazing through a first grade lit program, and really only needs help on 3 syllable words. She has not needed daily phonics instruction for a few months.

On the other hand, if you want to teach reading in the context of spelling, you might consider The Writing Road to Reading. Searching here with "WRTR" will turn up gobs of threads about it.

Or "Spalding." Spalding is the method; WRTR is the manual. :D