Menu

K/Pre-First Pre-history: how long did it take you?

kerilynn

Hi Folks,

My ds attends public Kindergarten. I don't have a choice to homeschool, but I do as much after schooling as is possible with my busy schedule and without burning the poor ds out! (If it were left up to me, I'd send all night teaching him, lol).

I plan on doing ancient history with him next year and started looking into some prehistory stuff awhile ago with the intention of trying to include that after school this year, but then real life happened, lol. I usually take between 16 and 19 credit hours of school, he's already had a full day of school, and the evenings go by quick, so I've just focused on doing reading with him since I think it's the most important (and even though I love his teachers, I hate the way the district teaches reading).

So...the new plan is to try to fit it in this summer before he goes back to school next year for first. I will have this summer off and next year off as well, so will have more time with him. But, he will be spending the first 6 weeks of summer in France on vacation (his father, my ex is French), so I will only have about 6 weeks. I had originally wanted to do the prehistory with him this year before his vacation to France at least up to cavemen because I thought I would ask his father to take him to Lascaux and/or Chauvet to see them IRL (although I know the real Lascaux cave is closed and what you see is a recreation....still neat though and a good visual). Now, I might just sort of show him the cave man stuff on its own before he goes to France, let him see it, and then when we get to it he'll have had a good real life reference.

Anyway (sorry...i tend to blabber), what I was wondering was how long, or maybe a better question is, how many lessons did you do prehistory in? I've looked at all the resources from the great posts here...and I'm sure I could tailor it to be as long or short as i want, but I was still curious about other people's experience with it.

Thanks!

I personally don't really do formal history until 5th, we focus in on a good solid foundation to the skill subjects until then. We read books about history and watch interesting documentaries, probably my goal would be one book/show/activity a week, plus some historical 'free reading' books when they're old enough.

You really can take as much or as little time as you want though, it's all about how much depth you go into, and of course there will be some difference between what you achieve if you have a half hour lesson vs a 2 hour lesson, but I'd say you could get an interesting foundation covered in 6 weeks with perhaps an hour a day. Definitely doable, so go for it!

Thanks abba12!

I realize I can choose to make the unit as long or as short as possible, but I always find it helpful to hear the experiences of others involving how long it took them to do what. Especially since I have no real HS experience under my belt, and will only be afterschooling as it is next year.

I figure I will figure a lot out about timing just by trial and error, and because afterschooling will be hectic on its own, I am just going to set myself up with a list of things I'd like to attempt to accomplish but have no real expectations that it will all get done--so as not to set myself up for disappointment.

Even if I were an extremely organized person (which I am not), much will depend on my ds's interest, stamina, and personal pace. My objective is to give him all the tools I can, not to burn him out on learning.

• 2 weeks later...

I have prehistory broken down into roughly 10 lessons. I had originally planned to take a week or two per lesson. I started in mid-January, but so far we've only gotten through two lessons. We have moved slower than I planned, but sometimes a week will pass without us doing any prehistory (we've been dealing with a lot of illness this winter), then the next week we'll get back on track.

I'm not in any particular hurry. I just want to be ready for ancient history in the fall. However, if you were on a timetable, you could easily do a lesson a week or even two lessons a week to get it done in 10 weeks or five.

I'm planning to do it in 12 weeks this summer, but only one day a week unless there's something he wants to really dive into. My main topics are

• What is history? How can we know about it?
  • How do we use a timeline?
  • What existed before people?
  • What does archaeology tell us about early people?
  • What stories do people around the world tell about the beginning of human life?
  • What does it take to make a city?
  • Where did the earliest civilizations that we know of arise?

And then that will lead into SOTW 1.

I have some Pins at http://www.pinterest.com/wha/geography-history/

My list of books to check out includes

• Fossils by Sally M. Walker
  • Digging Up DInosaurs by Aliki
  • Wild and Wooly Mammoths by Aliki
  • What's Older than a Giant Tortoise by Robert E. Wells
  • Prehistoric Actual Size by Steve Jenkins
  • Painters of the Caves by Patricia Lauber
  • Stone Girl, Bone Girl by Laurence Anholt
  • The Magic School Bus Shows and Tells by Joanna Cole
  • Prehistoric Art by Susie Hodge