Menu

Frozen heat pump unit

JustEm

Ugh!  If its not one thing its something else.  Out exterior unit is frozen over.  I noticed this not too long ago.  This is a new system (we replaced it in August.)  Called our HVAC guy and left message.  Anyone know what I should do while I wait for him to call back?  I assume turning the heat off is a good idea since it can't really work if its frozen over.  Anyone have experience with this?

I assume you are currently heating and not cooling? (I don't know in which climate you live). If heating:

Do you have the heat pump as the sole source of heating, or do you have a backup furnace as well?

If you have a furnace: switch over to "emergency heat" and run the furnace instead of the heat pump.

The pump will thaw out when it gets warmer, or you can thaw it. Running it when it is frozen up can damage the blades, so you should switch it off.

Typically a frozen over heat pump means a coolant leak.  The coolant used to be freon, but they've switched to something more environmentally friendly that I can't remember the name of.  The trick is finding the source of the leak.  Sometimes it's easy, and sometimes it takes multiple trips by a technician to figure it out.  Yours should still be under warranty, so there shouldn't be any cost to you.  But I hope the technician can find the leak quickly.

Typically a frozen over heat pump means a coolant leak. 

yes- if it is freezing up in the summer when you are running the AC.

In winter, freezing rain or even high humidity with subfreezing temps will freeze up the outdoor unit even if there is no leak.

Happened to us three times this winter already ;-) After all, the thing is outside.