Menu

Good reads for 6th grade girl (who is easily overwhelmed)

stephanie

Ds12 enjoys reading, but it has to be something that she feels she can read over a couple of days or even a day. If I hand her a book like Lightening Thief, she immediately gets this pitiful look on her face like she could never conquer it. I read all of our novels aloud everyday so I feel she gets good quality of books in that, but she still needs to read daily. At this point, getting her to enjoy reading is my goal, which she does. So I'm not interested in forcing her to tackle big reads right now. Are there any suggestions for good books that aren't too intimidating?

She loves books like Tom Sawyer, Helen Keller, and A Wrinkle In Time....I know, kind of broad, huh!

My sixth grade daughter loves to tackle giant books, but younger daughter does not... here's a few thoughts on shorter books that my daughter has liked

The hundred dresses

Sarah plain and tall

Number the stars

The giver

A Christmas carol

The little prince

Most of Ronald Dahls books are short

Eva Ibbotsons kids books

Also, how about buying one of those giant beautifully bound editions of Grimms fairy tales? She could get used to the bulk of the book and get over the fear but only be reading a story at a time. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/grimms-complete-fairy-tales-brothers-brothers-grimm/1102502038?ean=9781435141865 She might feel really proud to finish it and no longer have the dread of a large tome.

Or... You could have her read a book online or on a kindle or tablet. Then she won't know have a sense of book length.

I would recommend some graphic novels that are based on/adaptations of actual books. Here are few that you might consider:

• Coraline the graphic novel (has a girl protagonist, is kind of spooky and is a real page turner.)
  • The Lightning Thief (Most of the series has been turned into graphic novels)
  • The City of Ember (This is a good book. :D)
  • Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood (A story about a girl growing up in Iran. Very beautiful art and a lovely way to learn about Iranian culture and history)

Otherwise, go for a few short (but not light!) reads such as:

• Bridge to Terabithia
  • Tuck Everlasting
  • The Westing Game
  • The Book of Three (the first book in the Prydain Chronicles, a fantastic series...)
  • An Elephant in the Garden (fantastic story about a family that rescues an elephant during war times.)

All of these are about 200 pages long and very engaging stories, imho.

Hope this helps. :)