Menu

Dr. Hive -- Would you go to the Dr. for this?

mlktwins

So...I haven't been to the Dr. for feeling sick since March 2012.  I don't tend to the run to the Dr. for a cold.  I have felt bad since last Thursday though and I'm wondering if I should go or not.  I haven't really had a lot of respiratory issues, but I've had a little drainage, a little bit of a dry cough, and I've had a lot of "frogs" in my throat when talking or reading to the boys.  I wouldn't normally be worried about this, but I have also had body aches every day (like I have a fever), but I don't have a fever.  It isn't as bad when I go to bed and I feel pretty good when I wake up.  The body aches start around 11 am and go through the day until the evening.  Last night, I felt like whatever this is has started going to my chest, but I'm still not coughing a lot and it is still a dry cough. 

If you have had this for a week, would you go to the Dr. or wait it out?  I'm not super hungry, but am trying to stay hydrated.

I did have my flu shot this year if that makes a difference.

TIA

Personally, I'd wait 2-3 weeks for something like that to pass. My son went in last week for a cough that has been lasting forever. He's otherwise not acting sick at all, but did have about 2-2 1/2 weeks where it seemed like he was more sick. She checked him out fully, but said he either has a slow moving virus or got something back to back. DD had the same symptoms but her's went into walking pneumonia. She got kind of wheezy and was spiking little fevers - it was fairly obvious something more was up with her.

But I generally allow at least 2 weeks to pass with a virus, and sometimes up to 3 if I'm not feeling horrible and feel like it's improving. I think we had one too many visits when the kids were younger with a $25+ co-pay and them shrugging and saying it's viral.

Sometimes feeling like you should see a doc is reason enough to do it though IMO. Is it hard to breathe? If it felt like it was hard to breathe, I'd definitely go in.

While 1.5 weeks is probably more typical, a virus can take 2-3 weeks to run itself out. Coughs can hang around even longer. That sounds like what you're experiencing to me.

If you develop breathing difficulty, get help immediately. If you spike a high fever make an appointment, because it indicates secondary infection. I think you are likely just still fighting off the virus.

Thanks for the responses :-)!!!  I'm not having trouble breathing.  The body aches are really kicking my butt though!!!  I've never had them without the fever and I definitely don't have a fever.  I will just try to rest a little more the next few days.  We've been out and about, but I haven't been around anyone with known strep. 

I'm a little worried going into the weekend, but I have access to several urgent cares if necessary.

I cannot wait until Spring!!!