Menu

Can someone explain LiveMocha?

Tracy

I just found out that I have family from Croatia coming to visit in the fall.  My children are 3rd generation American, so we do not speak the language, and I am pretty sure they do not speak English.  

My dd8 really wants to learn Croatian, and I found it as an option on LiveMocha.  But I can't figure out how it works.  When I signed up, it looks like you have a certain amount of "currency" to spend.  I don't want to invest in it unless I know how much it is going to cost us in the long run, but I can't find anything definitive on the web site.  Does anyone have any experience with LiveMocha?

Unfortunately the only experience I have with LiveMocha is from long ago, and I haven't kept up with any changes on the site, but maybe you can see if your library has access to Mango Languages. They have Croatian, it's free, and there isn't any "social" component to deal with. What a fun "problem" to have! Good luck.

It's been a little while since we used it, and they may have made some changes more recently, but part of how you "earn" more coins is by helping other people who are doing exercises for your fluent language. Live Mocha is based on the premise of real people helping real people. So for example, you might give feedback on a written or oral exercise for someone who is trying to learn English; in the meantime  you are also asking for feedback on lessons you are doing in Croatian.

We really enoyed reading over assignments from people learning English -- it made for some good grammar discussions with my elementary-age kids, in a way that wasn't criticizing their own work. lol  They really enjoyed Live Mocha. I think for less common languages, it is really a neat interface.

It's been several years since I was on LIveMocha, but you earn currency by helping people with their English which is really easy to do-- you can read their English or listen to recordings they made.  I had fun helping others :-)  but I didn't use the site to learn ;-(    Also there was (and maybe still is??) the option to chat with folks in other languages -- used to be free?  Not sure if I would let a child do this, unless I sat with him or her.