Menu

Living books to study Missouri History - XPost

I'm trying to get a state history study ready for my girls next year.  I'll have a 9th grader and a 6th grader.  They don't have to read the same books, I'm just trying to get a list together so I can start looking at them and creating the course.  My 9th grader will be doing this for credit so I definitely need some credit worthy books for her.  Any and all suggestions would be great!  I only have one and that's Tom Sawyer LOL!

Thanks!

Dorinda

You could do biographies. I would consider these: Walter Cronkite, General Pershing, Walt Disney, Mark Twain (obviously). Information on Lewis & Clark, Pony Express, and Missouri's role in the Civil War would be interesting. I would probably add as many field trips as I could.

We used a number of these Arcadia books when we did CO history:

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/state/Missouri

I was looking at this last night and I like the looks of them, they're just SUPER expensive.  The Library has a bunch so I'm hoping I'll be able to get my hands on some copies.  Did you map your state history out and study in timeline order?  I'm surprised it's not easier to find more info on state history studies.  

You could do biographies. I would consider these: Walter Cronkite, General Pershing, Walt Disney, Mark Twain (obviously). Information on Lewis & Clark, Pony Express, and Missouri's role in the Civil War would be interesting. I would probably add as many field trips as I could.

That's actually a really good idea.  That's how Beautiful Feet does its American History study for the elementary grades and it works well for most of the year.  

:seeya:

I don't know where you are in MO, but when you do the Civil War and Missouri, be sure to include Wilson's Creek. It is a great field trip if you aren't too far away.

http://www.nps.gov/wicr/index.htm

Also add Truman to the list of biographies.

I will second this. And Independence with the Truman library is really good. Plan for more than a day if you travel in. DS felt rush when we did a day trip there.