Menu

Interesting book for those who like this kind of thing

IsabelC

Hmmm....reading the excerpt, I get the impression she's got us HSing mom's pigeon-holed as identity-less women, stuck in a gender role, using HSing to make us feel like good mothers, and our desire to be good mothers to keep us stuck in the grind of HSing.

Is that the gist of the book?  Or is there more to it that might be helpful to read?

I didn't find her particularly anti home schooling. She did mention that she began with a stereotyped idea of home schoolers but learnt that we are as varied as any other group of people. My main criticism would be the overuse of statistics. She had a small sample size, and of course that is fine for ethnographic research methodology, but then you shouldn't bandy about figures like 87% said x and base your conclusions on that.

I would highly recommend the book if you can get it from the library, but I wouldn't recommend buying it, as most people probably wouldn't read it more than once.