Menu

Spelling Workout questions

bttrflyvld

I just got my Spelling workout a and b workbooks today (for 1st grade not starting till summer) and just glancing at them I have some questions.

First, I've read chapter 5 in the well trained mind, and it says to do 1-3 pages a day for 4 days.  That seems to be a chapter a day.  So are you guys doing 2-3 chapter a week? 

Second, There is review every 5 chapters but no test or suggested memorization.  I guess coming from being taught from public school I"m used to the idea of review, memorize, and test.  Does anyone test?  Is this something that may be in the Teachers manual that I didn't buy? I understand putting "troubled words" in the notebook, but in 1-2 days per chapter, how can that be enough time to see troubled words.

And third, if you are doing 2-3 chapters a week week, that seems like a really fast pace.  How is the child supposed to memorize the words?  Do you just keep moving through the workbooks at this pace?  Does the later books do more repitition and memorization? 

I like the look of the activities, but it just seems too simple to me.  I mean, I don't want want to add anything making it more complicated than it needs to be it this method works.

We have used spelling workout all the way through elem. We did a chapter a week. There are 36 lessons a book which works well for the yr. I started in level b for 1st grade and did A in kind. Our schedule works like this: mon. we do a pretest and read 1st pg. Tues. we do 2 pgs, wed. we do a pg and study, thurs. we study, and Friday i give the test. Hope this helps

LOL, I had these EXACT SAME questions last year :)

Anyway, it starts out very gentle, but you're still supposed to do a chapter a week.  Even if the easy weeks are super easy (which they are) IMO it's still worth it to take that time laying a foundation of very basic spelling rules.  It does ramp up about halfway through the year.

Secondly, we do a little exercise a day M-Th, and then Friday a spelling test on a loose-leaf piece of paper.  The words are still easy, so we don't do much else, but I think that as the words get more complicated and the lists get longer, we'll also do some extra exercises (copying the words, alphabetizing the list, pre-tests).

We zipped through Book A doing a lesson per day and testing three or four lessons at the end of the week.  Now that we're in the B Book, we've slowed to one lesson per week.  Ds6 copies all the list words and bonus words for the week on notebook paper and does one exercise the first day.  He does two exercises per day for the next two days, and I verbally quiz him on all the words so I can see which ones he struggles with.  The last day of the week is the spelling test.  Any words he misses, we discuss and add to the next week's list again.  I absolutely think there's a strong memorization component to spelling, and I personally think traditional spelling tests are the only way to measure whether my child has succeeded in memorizing the week's words.

P.S.  Our weeks add up to four days because we take off every other Friday.  When we have a five-day week, we use the extra day to practice dictionary skills.  I pick words from the week's list and he has to look them up in the dictionary in the back and define them.  Now that we're halfway through First Language Lessons, I'm going to start having him find and tell me the parts of speech, too.

We do a lesson a day. My son had a strong phonics program that included spelling so he could fly through A and B this year on his own. It only taught him how to do crossword puzzles. We write down the lesson tip in a sentence and keep the one notebook page with the sentences on it. We read the paper twice a week or I ask him to write all the ways you can have long e on the board type questions. Au and aw was his hang up lesson. We are on lesson 27 in B.

The rules is what I wanted him to know. The words he sees in copywork and reading so they were not very challenging.

We do Spelling workout. This is our schedule:

Monday - pretest, read the little blurb at the beginning of each chapter, say-spell-say each word, do first exercise, write words once

Tuesday -Thursday - say-spell-say each word, write each word once, do one exercise each day

Friday - spelling test

It works well. My boys generally get every word wrong in the pretest, but by the end of the week they pass the test with 80% of above.

We do Spelling workout. This is our schedule:

Monday - pretest, read the little blurb at the beginning of each chapter, say-spell-say each word, do first exercise, write words once

Tuesday -Thursday - say-spell-say each word, write each word once, do one exercise each day

Friday - spelling test

It works well. My boys generally get every word wrong in the pretest, but by the end of the week they pass the test with 80% of above.

â˜ï¸ totally! We do the same thing, but Wed/Thurs we do oral spelling from memory, spelling bee style. ;)