Menu

Any tricks to teaching the sounds of "th" ?

Michelle My Bell

They should know that we read to mean something - so if these words are read in meaningful sentences there should be no problem - try to teach them as separate words and you may have more of a problem though - if this happens then just get the child to put the word in sentence or better - YOU put it in a sentence for them exactly as they have pronounced it and ask them if it sounds right - they should correct it easily.

Not a solid rule by any means, but for my DD, I told her:

• First try a voiced /th/ at the beginning of words.  Most of the words she's reading with /th/ at the beginning (this, then, there, they, that) are voiced.  
  • I told her that many words with 'th' at the end (bath, path, with) are unvoiced, as a starting point.

Obviously, this only words a percentage of the time, but it was enough to give her the confidence to *try* a sound... from there we go with what SOUNDS right in context.  "Then" vs "thin" -- especially for southerners and our pronunciation -- is a toughie!

You know, I always thought that would be hard for my kids to learn to, but it's never been an issue. Usually they get it right on the first try, but if they don't, they just self correct (because then the word makes sense). Obviously the more they read, the less they have to self correct. Also, try reading a work like "bath" with a buzzy "th" at the end (that's what I call it, lol). It's almost impossible to do! It just comes out like it's suppose to. :-)