Menu

Singapore Math Supplements

dsbrack

I'm preparing for next year and making a list of items to look at in person at my homeschool convention in April.  We use Singapore math and have only been using the HIG, textbooks and workbooks but I'm looking to add some kind of supplement.  I'm particularly interested in a solid review option to use over the Summer (probably Intensive Practice) and maybe the Challenging Word Problems.  I'm a little confused about the purpose of the other supplements they offer and how they might enhance our math program.

The website has a lot of options for ways to supplement Singapore.  They have Intensive Practice, Math Sprints, CWP, Extra Practice, Process Skills, and Math Express.  Which of these are you using and what do you see as the main benefits to your math program?

Extra Practice is at the same level (or easier) as the workbook. We used it sometimes, but then in later years I got the tests and just used some of those for extra practice if it was needed.

We used IP and CWP regularly. They're excellent. I'd let ds get stuck on some problems and return to them day after day after day (work for a bit, get stuck, put it away for the day, do other math that day, get it back out the next day and try again). I loved him getting the experience of struggle.

Process Skills used to be iExcel. It's designed to show how to approach some problem types with the bar models. I like it and found it helpful for some CWP/IP work.

For summer review, I might go with IP as first priority, then see what other supplements you may find useful to add in.

We do a good bit of math :)

We use IP, CWP, and Process Skills. I found Process Skills to be wonderful for teaching the why to my son behind the bar diagrams and then demonstrating how to do it efficiently. We use IP a half year behind for review and work through it after we finish the 'A' portion of the regular textbook and workbook. We sometimes just pick topics that weren't completely mastered. CWP we use when we add in problems from the units we are currently working on.

I have never used Extra Practice or Math Express. HTH.