Menu

Question for any fitness gurus...

LisaD

A brief background: I was training for a 10k, doing my second round of Insanity videos, just lost 25 pounds post baby weight and was more fit than I've ever been when I herniated my L5. It wasn't diagnosed as such initially so I went thru almost 1 yr of pt and post pt rehab when I finally went back to dr, had an MRI, was diagnosed (significant L5 herniation pitching S1 nerve). On feb 5 last year, I had a micro discectomy and am recovering well. I am walking for exercise (in addition to all the walking/ moving I do with a 5 & 3 yo) and have been doing exercise bike since summer (building up in small durations of time but now I can easily do 15 min at a time 2x/wk in addition to walking).

I have some weight to lose, since I gained it back after almost 2 yrs of inactivity. I am trying to up my game a little. Last week I began mixing in the elliptical 2x/wk. I do 2min forward, 2 min backward, then repeat and I'm up to 16 min.

Here's where my question comes in: my back feels fine with this new exercise....actually great! BUT I feel like I've been riding a horse! I felt this for the first time today after my third session on Wednesday. (I'm doing it on Wednesdays and Fridays.) I'm a little baffled as to why my pelvic bones/ region would be so sore. (My glutes are too, but that I understand.)

Can anyone enlighten me? (If it matters, I'm 40.)

TIA.

I'm sorry- I should clarify....it's not pain, but soreness and it feels just like I've been on a horse after not riding regularly. Feels sore in the area where your pelvic bone area would have contact with a saddle. That surprises me, but I guess it might be normal if I am doing forward and backward on the elliptical and I haven't been doing that exercise before? I am out of shape and perhaps my muscles in that area aren't engaged in the same way with treadmill walking and stationary bike?

Don't get me wrong, I also feel some soreness in the very top of both hamstrings into my butt....just like I would expect from doing exercises that are aimed at targeting my glutes and quads and the soreness is symmetrical, so I feel pretty sure it's all normal getting into shape soreness.