Menu

Jump In and Lost Tools of Writing

momto2blessings

Hello, I'm planning writing for the next few years for my current 5th grader. He'll soon be finished with Writing Tales II. I was thinking of one year each of Jump In, LTOW, and Literary Lessons from the LOTR. I'm just wondering if doing both Jump In and LTOW would be redundant? Haven't seen LTOW up close.

My other options might be to:

Skip Jump In and extend LTOW and LL from LOTR to 1 1/2 yrs each, or

Skip Jump In and do LTOW I AND II, then LL from LOTR

I love Jump In and have never used the others. Just trying to figure the most productive use of time:) Thx for any input! Blessings, Gina

Only have experience with Jump In not LToW, so I can't help about deciding whether to to do one or both... BUT... just wanted to mention that Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings has NO writing instruction, and no grading rubric, only a suggested writing assignment about every 2 weeks. So you would need to plan on something to go with LLftLotR to cover writing instruction if it is still needed at that time. :)

(The focus of LLftLotR is gentle intro into literary analysis, and 12 units of additional material exploring related topics in literature.)

I love Jump In and Lost Tools of Writing but LTOW is a big jump up from Jump in. I would put Jump In as upper grade school to perhaps 9th grade (depending on the student). LTOW is upper high school in my estimation. I actually think the Lord of the Rings one would be about the same level as Jump In so maybe you could combine the two (pp was right that there aren't any real writing instructions in Literature Lessons)

I have no experience with Jump In but am using LTOW.  LTOW was written for Jr High age but I'd probably do Level 1 over more than 1 year.  I believe in their FAQ (it's been a long time since I read it so don't quote me ;) ) it says something to the effect that you can use it with younger kids but that you need to really spread it out.  That being said, I'm sure it really depends a lot on the child. 

Lori D....thanks, that's very helpful to know. I assumed LLftLOTR would be all we needed for English. If used as written do you have a daily time estimate for a pretty strong reader who has read LOTR before (doing program at age 13 or so?)

Mims....that's a possibility. Maybe I could do both Jump In and LLftLOTR in 8th. Or maybe extend both over 7th/8th? I believe Jump In can be stretched 2 yrs. Thoughts? Thx for heads up on LOTW. It scares me a bit, and I'm trying to get writing programs done before high school since MFW had writing covered. Maybe I should relax and not try to squeeze LTOW in. Not sure.

Cheryl....thanks! If I do decide on LTOW I suppose taking 7th and 8th to finish might be better.

Thx for input ladies as I try to sort this out! Does anyone have experience with LTOW and the writing instruction in MFW high school? I'd rather skip LTOW bit feel like I'm missing out....