Menu

Logic of English foundations vs essentials

Guest prettyrobbin13

Guest prettyrobbin13

I have a five year old boy who has completed foundations a and is starting b. Financially buying a-f will be expensive. I was wondering if buying and progressing through essentials would be a good idea instead of buying all the foundations material. I understand that moving through essentials will take twice as long (80 instead of 40 wks) if not longer with my son. Does anyone have advice for me???? I love LOE and plan to continue it no matter the material i use. 

When I began homeschooling last year I purchased LOE essentials for my kids. (Foundations didn't exist when I purchased essentials). My daughter was a hound 1st grader. That being said I did a lesson a week or so with my daughter and she did fantastic. I modified some of the writing (white board or I scribed for her). We did stop around lesson 30 with the lessons because the grammar was getting a little deep (accented syllables and subordinating conjunctions and the like).

I would say it would be fine to just go to essentials. Many people did like I did when foundations didn't exist. It's not as colorful and 'fun' looking as foundations though....

My 6 y/o is doing well with essentials. I do a lesson a week with her and don't cover everything. I plan to go back through the curriculum with the advanced lists later on and I will pick up some of the stuff we missed.

I still am planning to do foundations with my almost 5 y/o. But it will be my only major curriculum expense for k and 1st for her.

I found that Essentials moved too quickly for my 6yo DD, and I moved her to Foundations. We are moving a quick pace through Foundations (1 lesson, 4x/week) and I may try moving her back to Essentials if D isn't out by the summer.

Language arts is not her favorite, and I've found the slower pace of Foundations more forgiving for her. I think it ultimately depends how engaged the child is with Essentials material. I would think Essentials would be fine if your child has enough engagement with just the phonogram card games, but can do without the colorful workbook pictures and readers.

I've used both here, I'm half-way through C w/ dd 6.5 and on L31 of Essentials w/ ds 9.5. It depends on the child but I'd not use Essentials w/ someone younger than 8 personally, at least not without heavy modification, which to me would be too much work. I know Essentials was recommended at first because there was no Foundations but imo it is not optimal, not for that age of kids learning to read.