Menu

Knitting question

Moxie

I like to knit super simple stuff I don't have to think about or really pay attention to. I'm almost done with a small blanket that is all knit stitch (don't recall what that is called). I'd like to make a scarf that is moss stitch. The issue is that I'm not good enough to look at it and tell if I need to knit or purl the next stitch. So, how do I keep track of where I'm at so I know what to do when I pick it up again? Does that make sense?

I try to put my knitting down at the end of a row whenever possible. Or if I'm going back and forth between knitting and purling, I'll leave the yarn where it needs to be for the next stitch. So if they yarn is in front, I know i need to purl. In back, I need to knit. For a scarf, I'd just finish out the row and then you can start a new one fresh. I've also written notes to myself down on a sticky note when I need to remember what I'm doing. 

The first few rows need attention, after that the pattern is clear. For moss stitch, when you look down the columns there should be two knit, two purl, two knit, etc. Looking across the rows it should alternate, k p k p k p Sometimes if I'm not sure I k p k p a little bit, then check to be sure the columns are lining up the way they should be.

It sounds more complicated than it is. Don't over think it. :-) Find time to get the pattern established in peace, the rest will become apparent.

If your next stitch has what looks like a bar at the bottom that's a purl bump--like in the first picture here--and you will need to knit that stitch. That bump should be right up against the needle. For a knit stitch you'll be able to see both legs of the stitch--the front and back part of the loop around the needle. (See second picture.) If that's what you're seeing then you'll need to purl that stitch next. These pics came from the Lion Brand website. The also have videos that might be useful to you.

purl1.jpg

basicKnit1.jpg

You can also help yourself remember what to start with the next time by using colored yarn or colored stitch markers in alternating colors.  I have a green/purple set.  If I were going to use them to remember, I'd make green=knit and purple=purl.  But I agree with others, the key for me is to always stop at a good point and then leave myself a note that tells me what to do when I resume. 

I go out of my way to only stop at the end of rows.

If I am in a row then just count. If it is KP, then just count in your head until you know which one to start with.

When I was a very new beginner I would keep a list that had row numbers and what the row started with so:

2P

4P

Or I might stick on a stitch counter than hangs from the 'back' and that tells me I start with perl on that side

Etc