Menu

Controlling internet access from wireless router

Laura Corin

We've worked out belatedly that we can turn on and off internet access to particular devices using the settings on our router.  These can be controlled from any of the devices using a password.  You do need to leave one device with internet access for router control....

If anyone is trying to develop habits of computer use avoiding excess internet browsing, you might want to look and see if your router will do the same thing.  Hobbes likes to write stories and Calvin is trying to concentrate on school work, so it helps to be able to turn them* into dumb machines for a period.  I might find the facility useful too.  It's a bit more draconian than personally-designed blockers....

L

*The devices, not the children!

I'll have to keep it in mind if I ever catch DD watching YouTube when she should be writing on her laptop.

For me personally, the most distracting time to be online is in class, and if I have to I can just turn off the wifi reciever on my laptop. I'm not on the home network then, anyway.  :tongue_smilie: Since I've decided to use OneNote for notetaking in class, this might get better this semester...or worse.