Menu

WWE/WWS vs IEW

lvmom

I finally just realized that WWS is the continuation of WWE for the logic stage.  How do people like it so far?  any thoughts on WWS for the logic stage so far?  This is our first year homeschooling our 1st and 2nd grade girls. We have been using WWE and workbook with them. We do like it, but the passages can be very difficult at times to comprehend for them.  However, I like the challenge it presents to them.  It is rigorous and I have seen improvement.  I have become more and more curious about IEW and have liked it from what I've read.  I've done as much investigating of IEW as I can, short of buying the CD's and books.  Any input on either program and thoughts, experiences, etc with IEW vs WWE/WWS on success with writing?  Thanks in advance!

I adore FLL/WWE (especially levels 3-4).  I've begun using IEW this year through a Classical Conversations Essentials class.  I tried to wrap my head around IEW many years ago and have spent lots of time on their website, but it always seemed so confusing/overwhelming before.  I like using it in a structured class; the deadlines are very motivating for us.  We've never completed so many writing projects.  However, I still like the daily-ness of WWE.  That probably isn't terribly helpful to you, but just wanted to say that I do think they address different skills (or, at least, take a very different approach), but I can see room for both in our journey.  Can you borrow the TWSS DVD set from someone? Or at least watch the overview DVD or some of their free webinars to get a better feel for IEW to help you decide?

We've used all three - WWE, IEW and WWS.  DS finished WWE4 but wasn't quite ready for WWS1, so we spent a year on IEW's SWI-B.  It was a great path for him.  Now that we're working through WWS, we still incorporate and use IEW ideas & philosophies. 

So, I don't think it has to be one program "versus" the other.

This thread may be interesting reading for you:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/453374-if-you-use-iew-how-to-incorporate-wws/