Menu

Thinking about school-lite for the summer

I have a ds who will be in the second grade next year. I am having a baby at the end of April and would like to have things planned out for next year and over the summer. I want to do some reading and some math every day and maybe a little of different subjects on different days. He is not a fluent reader and he needs all the practice he can get with that, but we are fine with math. I'm not looking to really advance his skills as much as keep him from forgetting things and add a little structure to our day. (We do much, much better around here with some structure!) But with a new baby, I'd like it to go as automatically as possible. We probably aren't going to finish WWE1, so I thought I would keep that going. Also, Explode the Code.....although he has really grown to hate that book, so I could replace it with something else for some phonics practice, but I don't really know what. Any ideas of easy to use workbooks or routines that I could use in the summer months? I have a subscription to Teacher File Box. I also have a 3 yo that will turn 4 in the summer and she hates to be left out. She is always begging to do school. Ideas?

Look at the Skill Sharpeners books by Evan-Moor. You can look up the EMC # on Teacher Filebox and print them out - but since they are in color, you could also use a tablet. Or just purchase the book.

Grade 2 Reading: 4530 (Grade 1 4529)

Grade 2 Spell & Write: 4538 (Grade 1 4537)

Grade 2 Math: 4546

Never Bored books are fun, and more activity-based.

Grade 2-3 Never Bored book 1: 6304

Grade 2-3 Never Bored book 2: 6310

Pre-K Never Bored book 1: 6302

Pre-K Never Bored book 2: 6307

We do 1-2 hours of school-light through the summer. Even my older girls, who are now in PS, seem to enjoy having some planned, purposeful work to do during summer vacation. I tend to choose things we didn't get enough of during the school year or skills I really want to zero-in on for summer learning. For instance, last year my then 8 year old learned typing, the 50 states & capitals, and multiplication facts through 15x15 (she already knew through 12x12, but spent the summer learning the higher facts and drilling for speed & accuracy). Not sure what this summer's "pet" topics will be, but I'm sure we'll agree upon a couple by June!