Menu

Need help deciding on Algebra 2...

Good morning.

Ds is finishing MUS Geometry next week.  He completed Lial's Introductory Algebra in 9/10 grade...it took almost two school years.  He then began MUS Geometry, doing a little over the summer and now finishing it up next week.

I have an Intermediate Algebra by Tobey and Slater.  It is similar in format and teaching style to the Lial book.  My dd used it and did well with it.  I have a teacher's edition, solutions manual and videos for it.

Okay...on to the question:  Would ds benefit from doing a combo book such as Lial's Introductory and Intermediate Algebra?  Our local used bookstore has these in abundance.  I'm concerned that because it took him so long to go through the Introductory book, he might be foggy on some things.  Does Intermediate Algebra go over the same things but in more depth?  Is there enough review in Algebra 2 to jog one's memory?  MUS Geometry had some Algebra review.  He had no trouble with that.

I have come to the realization that ds might only get through Algebra 2 before graduating...if he graduates in 4 years.  We may decide to give him an extra 1/2 year before he goes to CC.  He is my summer birthday boy and would graduate at 17 (he is 16 now, 11th grade).  I have no problem giving him some extra time if there are valuable things he can learn at home before heading to college.

I don't think Intro + Intermediate would be a good fit -- that's usually more intended for an accelerated algebra 1 + 2 class for people who had it in high school and forgot.

Intermediate usually has a fair amount of review in it. This is because intermediate algebra is usually a developmental university class and students place into it having forgotten a lot of their high school algebra. I would go ahead and do intermediate, and if you find that he really has completely forgotten something, review it using the beginning algebra book you used.

Okay...on to the question:  Would ds benefit from doing a combo book such as Lial's Introductory and Intermediate Algebra?  Our local used bookstore has these in abundance.  I'm concerned that because it took him so long to go through the Introductory book, he might be foggy on some things.  Does Intermediate Algebra go over the same things but in more depth?  Is there enough review in Algebra 2 to jog one's memory?  MUS Geometry had some Algebra review.  He had no trouble with that.

You don't need the combo book. Lial's Intermediate Algebra starts at the beginning with each concept. It teaches everything from Algebra again in the first section or two of each chapter, then goes on the add complexity and new concepts.

My ds struggled through MUS Algebra in part of 8th & all of 9th, started MUS Geometry in August of 10th and finished in February and then moved into Lial's Intermediate Algebra. I was hoping he would finish in time to spend time doing ACT review before the April ACT and that may not happen, but he will finish this year. It has been slow, as I'm sure it will be for you, but we have never felt like he was missing something, even if MUS didn't cover it or didn't cover it in nearly the depth that Lial's Intro (which dd used) covered it.

I don't know about the book you have on hand, but I would start immediately in Lial's Intermediate and hope that it is done or close enough to call it done by the end of next year. 

I have used the Tobey Slater Intermediate book. I think it has a review chapter in the back of the book to cover before beginning with chapter 1. And, if I recall, it does teach everything again in each section.

This is good to hear.  My dd couldn't remember;  it's been a while since she used the book.  I just haven't had time to sit down and look.  Really need to do that.