Menu

Anyone else slack off on winter break?

I know breaks are a good time to get some extra learning in but I didn't really do anything over the break with dd except have friends over. I am really bad with a 2 week break because it is too short of a time for me to get into a routine and it was a good time to get together with friends. Around Christmas we were really mellow then I had to deal with figuring out where all the new stuff went. I do much better when school is in session to get stuff done but there is a lack of time then. I am feeling bad that I got nothing done when she isn't at school and we would theoretically have much more time.

I learned that when schedules are chaotic, there's not much point trying to do systematic afterschooling.  We were largely go-with-the-flow for the whole fall semester for this reason.

However, we did stuff over the break.  Just not in a systematic way.  Not as much as I'd originally planned, but probably more than most of their classmates.

A few things that got accomplished over our winter break (not including the work their teacher sent home):

• 3 days of horse/farm camp.  I will call this science.  ;)
  • Watching many Magic School Bus episodes, since I bought them the whole series for Christmas.  ;)
  • Lots of reading and a couple videos about Mexico.  (Geography and Spanish.)
  • Some Life of Fred - for Miss A, an intro to what I hope we'll be doing regularly going forward.  (Miss E has been doing this independently for a while.)
  • Miss A:  first lesson of Aesop's Fables Language Arts series - again, I hope we'll do this regularly going forward.
  • Miss A:  preview of multiplication and division, which their class is about to dive into.  (We did some lessons from the 1st grade Singapore workbook that they did not get to last year.)
  • Writing journal entries about their experiences.
  • For Miss E, lots of reading in many subject areas.
  • Our cruise provided the following educational experiences:
    • Brief visits to four countries
    • Personal encounters with dolphins (they actually rode a dophin among other things)
    • Close-up encounters with other animals
    • Going down in a submarine in a coral reef
    • Snorkeling above another coral reef
    • Exploring a marsh ecosystem
    • The kids' camp on the ship had some activities relating to volcanos, space, etc.
    • Probably other stuff I'm not remembering.