Menu

SAT Subject Tests

Help! I need some advice!

I am assuming that it is a better to plan to have my ds take the SAT on a different day than the subject tests.

To apply to some of the schools my ds wants, he needs to take 3 subject tests. Should those be scheduled on the same day?

I was planning on him doing some APs but is it better to do SAT subject tests?

The SAT and the Subject tests cannot be taken on the same day. There are three testing hours available - to be used either for the complete SAT or a maximum of three subject tests.

Depending on his preparation, he could certainly take three on the same day. The most my dd's have done at once is 2.

Some colleges require SAT Subject tests for admission, so it's best to check with the schools in which he is interested. Many people prep for APs and take the associated Subject test at the next available offering to maximize efficiency in preparation.

Spread out the SAT-2 tests. Three exams CAN be taken on the same day, but they probably shouldn't be.

Take the English later rather than earlier since he will be studying English through it -- May or June of his junior year would be a good time.

Take the science and math SAT-2 once your son has finished the relevant subject -- my kids took bio after their 9th grade bio class, chemistry after they finished their last year of chemistry, and physics after their last year of physics (except if they took it senior year). If your kid is going to do an AP class after taking a regular science class, hold off on the SAT-2 until he has taken the AP class (except if he's doing the AP during his senior year).

It is fairly easy to end up with two or even three science SAT-2's. Your son might consider taking more than one because he may score better on one than another.

Math -- even though I think MIT will accept either math test, you might consider the level 2, which should be taken after a REALLY rigorous algebra 2 class or after precalc. One of my kids took both math exams -- again, if your kid doesn't mind testing, doing both isn't that big a deal. Take the math ones as soon as you are convinced that the relevant math is solidified, and certainly before your son hits calculus.

My kids took both the AP in May and the SAT-2 in June in several areas -- if your kid has just taken the relevant AP class, studying for the SAT-2 should be fairly straightforward. They are different tests, though, so make sure to get a study guide or two for each specific test!