Menu

If you have used BFSU2

Roadrunner

I am prepping to teach the first lesson in this volume and I decided to start in lesson C-8 (aerodynemics). If you completed this lesson, can you share how you drew various diagrams or share a good website that we can use to copy various airplane wings and airflow diagrams. I am not finding much that isn't too complicated.

He also asks kids to write down the definition of weight to power ratio and why it's important. I need help on this one as well.

I did join the BFSU2 group, but feel a bit intimidated to ask questions there. Here if feels like home. :)

I hear you about the intimidation factor. They always seem friendly, though!

First, I haven't done C-8 yet. We're just starting A-17. That said, dh is an expert on "how things fly". Power-to-weight ratio is one way to compare different engines. When you are adding an engine to an airplane, you are adding the weight of it also, and the engine needs to produce enough power tolift both the aircraft and the engine off the ground. A "high" power-to-weight ratio is close to 1.

Is that what you were asking about? I'm (often) trying to straddle the difference between the in-dept, detailed data dh provides and the level Dr. Nebel and my dc are looking for.

Looking at the middle of page 253, I feel compelled to note that aircraft are designed such that if the engines stop functioning the aircraft does not "drop to the ground". Remember the bird-strike incident in New York when the passenger plane was successful glided down Rio a safe landing on the Hudson?

My kids are worriers, I have to watch these random, anxiety-inducing comments.

I hear you about the intimidation factor. They always seem friendly, though!

First, I haven't done C-8 yet. We're just starting A-17. That said, dh is an expert on "how things fly". Power-to-weight ratio is one way to compare different engines. When you are adding an engine to an airplane, you are adding the weight of it also, and the engine needs to produce enough power tolift both the aircraft and the engine off the ground. A "high" power-to-weight ratio is close to 1.

Is that what you were asking about? I'm (often) trying to straddle the difference between the in-dept, detailed data dh provides and the level Dr. Nebel and my dc are looking for.

Yes, that's it. Thanks. I will research specific ratios for different engines to drive the point for kids maybe. He asks kids to define the ratio as one of the written tasks to be completed.

I found this particular chapter hard to read. We had no problem with BFSU 1, so I am hoping this chapter (specifically my inability to translate what is taught to me as a teacher to simple discussion, diagrams and definitions) as an anomaly and not a norm going forward. :)

I really wish he would include visuals for me to replicate on the board.

We opted to start with thread C since I haven't yet bought a microscope.

This book is WAY meatier. It is a step change from book 1. Unlike the first book, for this one I am making worksheets for my third graders to use as we go through the lessons so they can keep up. We just spent a month on A-15 learning about density. Very different pace for us. I'm assuming it will take us the full three years to get through.

The A thread starts with a lesson that just uses the microscope to see Brownian motion. If you find a video on the internet instead you could do that thread sans microscope. We are almost done and I have worksheets for all those...

This book is WAY meatier. It is a step change from book 1. Unlike the first book, for this one I am making worksheets for my third graders to use as we go through the lessons so they can keep up. We just spent a month on A-15 learning about density. Very different pace for us. I'm assuming it will take us the full three years to get through.

The A thread starts with a lesson that just uses the microscope to see Brownian motion. If you find a video on the internet instead you could do that thread sans microscope. We are almost done and I have worksheets for all those...

Could you share a sample worksheet if I PM you my e-mail?

For the first volume we basically just jotted down summaries and illustrated them. I would love to see how you approach written output.

• 2 weeks later...